April 09, 2012
Deadline for applicants: April 26, 2012
Freehand Books, owned and operated by Broadview Books Inc., is looking for a highly motivated and experienced individual with strong communication and organizational skills to join Freehand as Managing Editor. Working from our offices in Calgary, the successful candidate will be responsible for coordinating production, publicity, and marketing for all Freehand titles, as well as the administrative duties of the press. The position will be a contract one with a term through December 2013, but an extension of the position beyond that date may be possible.
Freehand Books was established in 2007 as the literary imprint of the academic publisher Broadview Press with a very simple mandate: to publish excellent Canadian literature. Our list is award-winning and aesthetically diverse; it includes fiction, poetry, and creative nonfiction both by established authors and by exciting new voices. We pride ourselves on our careful attention to detail throughout the editorial process, on the high production quality and innovative design of our titles, and on our creativity in the marketing and promotion of each book.
Responsibilities will include:
• Coordinating production schedules and costings, liaising with freelancers and designers, and ensuring that high-quality books and ebooks are delivered on time and on budget
• Developing and implementing a comprehensive marketing plan for each title
• Working closely with our sales representatives to communicate effectively with booksellers; attendance at bi-annual sales conferences
• Working closely with our distributor and managing bibliographic data for our titles
• Organizing book launches, readings, festival appearances and other promotional events; producing promotional materials associated with each title
• Coordinating national review mailings and securing media coverage for our titles
• Updating and maintaining our website and social media accounts
• Consulting on and contributing to annual budgets and grant applications
• Proofreading and copyediting work may be required
• An undergraduate or graduate degree in English, Book Publishing, or a related field
• An eye for detail and the ability to multi-task
• Experience in and/or a thorough understanding of the day-to-day operations of a book publishing business would be strong assets
• Experience with Word, Excel, Photoshop and In Design arestrong assets
• Excellent English-language writing and communications skills
This position is a contract one, and salary is dependent on qualifications and experience. If you are interested in engaging and challenging work in a creative and supportive environment, please submit your resume and a covering letter on or before April 26 to:
Managing Editor, Freehand Books
515 – 815 1st St SW
The covering letter should address in detail your interest and experience in the area of literary publishing. Both paper and electronic submissions (as properly formatted Word attachments) will be accepted. We will not accept phone calls or in-person visits regarding this position.
From Q&Q Omni: Recent personnel changes
- November 27: Dimitri Nasrallah takes over as editor at Esplanade
- November 14: Penguin Random House Canada realigns sales department, promotes Jordan Fenn
- November 14: Personnel changes: Goose Lane Editions
- November 12: Personnel change: Palimpsest Press
- November 7: Kristin Cochrane promoted to president and publisher of Random House of Canada; Louise Dennys named executive publisher
- November 7: Martha Sharpe returns to Canada as editorial director at Simon & Schuster Canada
Looking to Post an Available Position?
Job opportunities can be listed on the Q&Q Omni job board for up to a month, and will also be sent by e-mail to the paid professional members of the site as part of Q&Q's e-mail news service.