Montreal author Ann-Marie MacDonald has been named a finalist for “America’s Nobel Prize,” the biennial Neustadt International Prize for Literature.
MacDonald is the sole Canadian among nine authors shortlisted for their ongoing literary achievements. The finalists are:
- Caryl Churchill (England)
- Carolyn Forché (U.S.)
- Aminatta Forna (Scotland/Sierra Leone)
- Ann-Marie MacDonald (Canada)
- Guadalupe Nettel (Mexico)
- Don Paterson (Scotland)
- Dubravka Ugresic (Croatia/The Netherlands)
- Can Xue (China)
- Ghassan Zaqtan (Palestine)
The winner will receive $50,000 U.S. at a ceremony during the Neustadt Festival at the University of Oklahoma in October.