Quill and Quire

2020-21 Green College Writer in Residence

Green College, University of British Columbia Published: November 25, 2019
Location
Vancouver
Job Type
Part-time
Category
Default
Date Posted
2019/11/25
Application Deadline
2020/01/29

Description

https://greencollege.ubc.ca/sites/greencollege.ubc.ca/files/WiR_callforApps_2020_Final_0.pdf

Writer in Residence Position: Green College, University of British Columbia, 2020-21 and Subsequent Years

Remuneration: $18,000 (plus airfare, accommodations) for a 3-month term

Application deadline: January 29, 2020

WRITER IN RESIDENCE – CALL FOR APPLICATIONS

Green College at the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, invites applications from Canadian and Indigenous writers for the position of Writer in Residence. The residency is for 3 months (Sept-Nov or Jan-March). The College expects to make appointments in the next round for the academic years 2020-21, 2021-22 and possibly also 2022-23.

The Writer in Residence program at Green College was inaugurated by Lynn Coady in 1999-2000. The most recent appointees have been Shyam Selvadurai, Erin Moure, Anne Simpson, Alison Wearing and Daniel Canty. Information about past Writers in Residence at the College can be found here: https://greencollege.ubc.ca/residencies.

WHY APPLY?

The Writer in Residence program at Green College, now in its 20th year, promotes Canadian writing to the UBC and greater Vancouver communities. The aims of the residency are to foster appreciation for Canadian writing, provide opportunities for students and others interact with the writer and to provide the space, time and resources for a Canadian author to write.

This full-time position requires roughly 40% of the residency time to be devoted to community involvement, including mentorship and outreach, leaving at least 60% available for writing projects. The writer will have an opportunity to host a program of readings / talks / performances, with funding for guest co-presenters, and a public for residency events extending to all parts of the campus and wider local community.

Green College is a dynamic, friendly host community of 100 Canadian and international graduate and postdoctoral scholars representing a wide range of academic and professional fields. Our west-coast-style, custom-designed college campus in beautiful Vancouver is situated in a secluded woodland area, close to trails, beaches and the UBC cultural precinct, half an hour’s bus-ride from the city centre.

REQUIREMENTS

  • Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada
  • Active participant in the writing community
  • A strong record of publication and community engagement
  • Comfortable and willing to engage with the public one-on-one and in group settings

We invite applications from writers in all genres.

REMUNERATION AND SUPPORT

  • Stipend of $18,000
  • Return airfare in Canada
  • 3 months’ accommodation in a spacious, furnished studio/office with en-suite bathroom, suitable for double occupancy
  • Partial board
  • Funding for guest co-presenters, in a public program hosted by the writer at the College
  • Expert support for residency activities from Green College staff and Principal
  • Access to UBC facilities and amenities

APPLICATION DOCUMENTS

  • A letter explaining your interest in the position, describing the writing project(s) you would undertake for the residency, and outlining a themed series of three public events (in addition to a reading from your own work).
  • A resume listing your publications, public appearances, events hosted and organized, residencies, mentorship experience, and any other relevant experience.
  • A sample of your published work not exceeding 25 pages in length
  • Two arm’s-length letters of reference from persons able to speak of your abilities as a writer, presenter, mentor and host of community-oriented literary activities.

Submit applications online at https://greencollege.ubc.ca/WIR-apply.

APPLICATION DEADLINE

  • Completed applications must be received by 11:59 pm on Wednesday, January 29, 2020.

Electronic submissions of application materials are preferred. Applicants may also submit hard-copy applications to:

Dr. Mark Vessey, Principal
Green College, University of British Columbia
6201 Cecil Green Park Road, Vancouver, British Columbia V6T 1Z1