Art Director, Penguin Random House Canada Young Readers
Penguin Random House Canada Young Readers, a division of Penguin Random House Canada, seeks an Art Director for children’s books. The Art Director will provide creative input, conceptualize and execute ideas, oversee design development, supervise projects assigned to other design staff and design a number of titles. This role will entail working directly with the editorial staff of the various children's books imprints and report to the Publisher.
- Art direction of book jackets, covers and interior art for hardcovers, paperbacks and ebooks; focusing on picture books, middle grade and other illustrated titles.
- Creating top-quality, commercial designs trending in the marketplace.
- Identifying, selecting and liaising with illustrators, artists, and photographers—artist and portfolio reviews, original art commissions, photo research, fee and schedule negotiations—as well as managing the execution of art for interiors and covers.
- Assisting in organizing and facilitating jacket and cover meetings. Discussing and articulating visual and marketplace perspectives.
- Working closely with the design and production department to manage schedules, create technically superior files, mechanicals and PDFs for the printers. Plus, maintaining an excellent knowledge of color correction and special effects. Reviewing proofs and overseeing color corrections.
- Working closely with the senior managing editor to monitor progress and maintain schedules.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- 4-year college degree in art or graphic design
- 5 years of previous design experience in children’s book publishing
- Knowledge of the children’s book market and a passion for children’s books
- Strong awareness of new art trends, artists and illustrators
- Ability to design and use design programs; proficiency in InDesign, PhotoShop, Illustrator and other desktop publishing packages
- Knowledge of production as it relates to design, including in-house proofing and familiarity with the HTML manuscript process. Complete knowledge of color printing and an understanding of ebook formats in the children’s marketplace
- The skills to manage and organize with an ability to prioritize workload under tight deadlines
- Excellent communication skills
- A willingness to be flexible in developing new roles and workflow
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 15th, 2017.
We appreciate the interest of all applicants; however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Penguin Random House Canada encourages applications from all qualified candidates. Contact Human Resources at email@example.com or 416-364-4449, if you need accommodation at any stage of the application process, or want more information on our accommodation policies.