Orca Book Publishers is a successful, growing, independent Canadian children’s book publisher, based in Victoria, BC. With 1200 active titles in print and digital formats and 95 new titles each year, we have a vibrant, well-respected publishing program. We are looking for a professional, motivated person to join our team. The ideal candidate will bring a passion for books, an interest in education, and an understanding of the current and future needs of this sector.
The individual we are looking for could be based anywhere in Canada, though a preference will be given to those with a strong understanding and knowledge of the Southern Ontario and Greater Toronto markets. The successful applicant will lead the sales efforts of a diverse list of children’s books to the K-12 market, including those published by Orca Book Publishers and those from the publishers we distribute.
The ideal candidate will have a broad-based skill set and will bring a knowledge of the K-12 education market, experience selling and interacting with the various roles in schools and school boards across Canada as well as comfort selling digital content and negotiating licensing terms. Additionally, this position offers the right candidate the opportunity to be involved in various conversations at Orca. While sales is the primary focus, the Educational Sales Manager would work closely with the marketing team on creating engaging promotional materials and sales campaigns for the K-12 market. This person would also work with the editorial committee and provide market feedback on the content and format of the books being published and to help inform the publishing program moving forward.
Orca currently sells direct to schools, libraries and some curriculum focused customers in the K-!2 market through an extensive, existing outreach program with teachers, librarians and administrators. The goal for this individual would be to increase the size of this market, hone the materials made available to this market and provide information back to staff that could influence the publishing and marketing of current and future Orca titles.
As a remote employee, communication and engagement with coworkers and colleagues will be key.
Specific duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Understand the purchasing process, timelines and key purchasing influencers in each of the targeted school districts with a goal to understand and match educator needs with Orca and their distributor resources.
- Meet with key school and school district-based contacts through in-person visits (hopefully), tradeshow attendance, email, phone and video conferencing.
- Build new contact lists and extend existing network of contacts.
- Develop and deliver compelling product presentations for face to face and digital campaigns
- Collaborate with the sales and marketing team on timely, targeted and compelling outreach to the K-12 market.
- Research, document and report on new trends in the K-12 market with head office staff.
- Collaborate with staff in various departments and work through various stages of the publishing process
Required skills include:
- Knowledge and experience of the Canadian educational market including an understanding of how the key stakeholders work and interact.
- An understanding of the current needs of educators in relation to their usage and purchasing of books and digital products.
- Sales experience and or teaching experience in the K-12 space would be an asset.
- Experience with online marketing options and strategies
- Ability to multi task and adapt to a quickly changing market environment.
- An understanding of the book publishing industry would be an asset.
- Word, Excel and other general office software as well as general comfort with new technology.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills.
- Strong organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently.
Orca offers a competitive wage and benefits package.
Orca is an inclusive employer with a passion for books that matter. We are committed to ensuring that young readers see themselves reflected in the books they read. We aim to produce books that illuminate the experiences of people of all ethnicities, people with disabilities and people who identify as LGBTQ+. We have a particular interest in publishing books that celebrate the lives of Indigenous people. Our fiction includes characters from diverse backgrounds and unique family structures, and our global nonfiction celebrates the variety of ways people live and educates readers about important issues. Providing young people with exposure to diversity and the opportunity for social change through reading creates a more compassionate world. We encourage applicants to learn more about us at www.orcabook.com.
Please send resume and cover letter by March 5, 2021 via email to email@example.com. We thank all who apply; only those candidates who are short-listed will be contacted.