Apply to be Canadian Writer-in-Residence at the University of Calgary
Location: 2500 University Dr NW, Calgary, AB T2N 1N4
Timeframe: September 1, 2024, to June 30, 2025 (10-month term)
Application deadline: 11:59 p.m., Wednesday, January 11, 2023
About the position
This residency is a full-time term position, open to Canadian writers, dates non-negotiable. We accept and encourage applications from writers of all genres who have 1 to 4 traditionally published and/or professionally performed works to their credit.
The Canadian Writer-in-Residence is expected to spend 50% of their time working on their own writing, and 50% of their time on community outreach, including one-on-one consultations with the public and public lectures or readings. We encourage candidates to propose their own initiatives for community engagement. A background or demonstrated interest in community engagement — such as experience teaching or mentoring writers — is an asset.
While the Canadian Writer-in-Residence will be invited to speak to university classes and to the public, this is not a teaching position.
This high-profile position has continued interaction with the external community and impact on the reputation of the CDWP and university.
Opportunity: our program is one of the best-paid and longest-term writing residencies in the country.
Freedom: you'll be able to make your own schedule. Divide your time between writing and community outreach and take advantage of your office on campus.
Community: our Writers-in-Residence are immersed in Calgary's literary community. Many of our Writers-in-Residence have chosen to stay in Calgary after their residency.
Influence: you’ll have a spot on the CDWP steering committee, alongside key players at the university and in the local community. Together, you’ll help select future Distinguished Visiting Writers and Writers-in-Residence, to shape the CDWP.
Setting: Calgary is a scenic mountain city in the heart of the foothills. You’ll also have a two-week off-campus writers’ retreat in beautiful Western Canada.
Support: the coordinator of the CDWP will be available to help you make the most of your time as Writer-in-Residence. We pay for one-way travel to Calgary at the beginning of the residency and return travel for the following year’s Hello/Goodbye reading event.
How do I apply?
Applications must include the following documents:
- A statement of interest (max. two pages) showing:
- Why you’re interested in this residency
- Your experience in and approach to community engagement
- Your experience in and approach to mentoring and consulting with writers
- A literary resume (up to 10 pages) including:
- Your mailing address, telephone number, and email address
- Your publication history
- Selected talks, readings, workshops, etc. you’ve given that are relevant to this position
- Examples of your community engagement experience, if applicable
- A description of projects (max. one page) outlining the writing projects you intend to undertake during your residency
- Two letters of reference from people who can speak to any of the following: your writing, mentorship, and/or community engagement (this would not normally include agents or publishers)
- PDF copies of your 1–4 published books, plays, or screenplays
- A list of your books, plays, or screenplays included with your application (so that we may confirm their receipt)
Letters of reference must be sent directly from referrers to the CDWP by email to email@example.com.
Ready to apply? Visit ucalgary.ca/cdwp/writer-residence/apply-writer-residence-position
Questions? See our FAQs for more information on eligibility, the position, and the application process.
The University of Calgary recognizes that a diverse staff/faculty benefits and enriches the work, learning and research experiences of the entire campus and greater community. We are committed to removing barriers that have been historically encountered by some people in our society. We strive to recruit individuals who will further enhance our diversity and will support their professional success while they are here. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply.