Working with the TIFA Festival Director and Deputy Director, the Chair will take on the leadership position for the IV Programme, working with the present Chair, Iris Tupholme, in a transition role through 2021.
In this role, you will lead the development and implementation of strategies for the annual IV Programme. The goal of the IV Programme is to sell international rights to Canadian creators’ works; to provide networking opportunities for Canadian editors, publishers, agents and scouts; and to provide international colleagues with an overview of publishing in Canada.
The Chair is directly responsible for working with key stakeholders in the Canadian and international literary community and chairing the main IV Committee to set the themes of each year’s programme; to recommend keynote speakers, Distinguished Guests and IV Fellows; and to work with the committee members and TIFA to plan and implement the annual programme. The Chair provides programme direction and manages the sub-committees responsible for other programme components (including financial accountability, quick-pitch meetings, panel topics and panelist choices, liaison with the keynote speaker and Ivy award recipient, publisher and agent site visits (physical or virtual), social events and networking opportunities.
- An active member of the Canadian publishing community
- Minimum five years’ experience in dealing with international sales of creators’ works
- Strong, current relationships with the international community
- Strong relationships with Canadian publishing colleagues, from Small Press to Global publishers
- Experience as a Chair in another volunteer role
- Enthusiastic team player with exceptional problem-solving, decision-making and leadership skills
- Strong strategic thinker, with the ability to effectively organize and manage execution of the programme’s multiple components, amid changing landscape
- Creative with a strong understanding of Canadian and international publishing
- Solid connections with key international publishing professionals
- Ability to advocate for all members of the publishing community in a positive, proactive manner
- A drive for results of B2B, with a focus on reporting rights sales to funders
- Experience in financial reporting (B2B)
- Calm, flexible personality able to deal with rapid change in a positive manner
- Ability to guide a dynamic, energetic committee to create an exciting new programme each year
What’s in it for you?
- The opportunity to lead and inspire your colleagues in an internationally renowned Fellowship Programme
- The satisfaction of seeing Canadian creators’ works being sold internationally and knowing you were part of it
- The opportunity to develop close ties with Canadian and other publishing professionals in a shared project
- The opportunity to increase your profile at home and abroad and enhance your reputation
- The opportunity to reach out to the most influential players in international publishing with an invitation to one of the world’s best Fellowship Programmes.
To submit your name for consideration, please complete the below form and upload a resume and a cover letter. The cover letter should describe your qualifications and skills and outline your vision for the programme. Please note that the qualifications and skills listed above represent our ideal candidate. We encourage all interested parties to apply, regardless of whether they fulfill all criteria. Feel free to email email@example.com if you have any questions or require any accommodations.The deadline for applications is May 31, 2021. https://form.jotform.com/210904174550247