6-month contract (with possibility of extension)
Inhabit Education, an educational publishing company associated with Inhabit Media Inc., is looking to hire an experienced in-house copy editor and proofreader to assist with copy editing and proofreading a wide variety of materials. This position will require a commitment of at least three days a week working out of our Toronto office in the Yonge and Eglinton area.
Reporting to the Managing Editor, the Copy Editor/Proofreader will ensure consistency, correctness, and clarity in a wide variety of resources. In particular, the Copy Editor/Proofreader will take on the following duties:
- Copy editing and proofreading children’s books, including picture books, short novels, and non-fiction books
- Copy editing and proofreading teacher resources, from the ECE to college levels
- Copy editing and proofreading books and other reading materials for older youth, including magazines, novels, reader’s theatre scripts, and others
- Copy editing and proofreading funding proposals and grant applications
- Carefully comparing English- and Inuktut-language materials and flagging questions for the Inuktut team
- Maintaining and updating the Inhabit Education in-house style guide
- Occasional developmental editing work may be required
- Other editorial duties as required
Required skills and experience:
- At least two years of experience working as a copy editor and/or proofreader
- Professional editorial training
- Strong familiarity with the Chicago Manual of Style
- Strong familiarity with Microsoft Word and Adobe Acrobat Pro, including each program’s editing tools
- Familiarity with plain-language editing practices
- Diplomacy and sensitivity to diverse cultures and points of view
- Familiarity with Inuktut is a strong asset
- Experience editing Indigenous and/or Northern materials is a strong asset
- Experience editing materials for ESL speakers is an asset
- Some availability to travel to our Iqaluit head office for key meetings is an asset
Applicants in consideration will be required to complete a short copy editing test.
Please send a resume and cover letter as one PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 23, 2018. Qualified copy editors and proofreaders who are not able to work in house but are interested in freelance editorial work are also encouraged to submit their resumes.