Do you love books, storytelling and connecting with others? Upstart & Crow Literary Arts Studio is hiring a Creative Associate to support our programming in our beautiful, bright space on Granville Island in Vancouver.
Please note: This is a full-time OR part-time position. We will consider exceptional remote candidates for the part-time position.
Upstart & Crow Literary Arts Studio exists to share stories and to support the literary arts. Located on Granville Island in Vancouver, we have garnered local and national press since opening in August 2020. Called “Vancouver’s literary living room” by The Vancouver Sun, we work to support the dissemination of bold ideas, offer playful introductions to literature, and to celebrate underlooked books and perspectives.
About the Role
We’re now looking for a creative, personable individual to join our small team as we expand our offerings. The Creative Associate will work closely with Upstart & Crow’s co-founders to arrange live (online) events and storytelling workshops; launch new initiatives; embark on a modest publishing program; and support our work through social media and copywriting about books.
This is a lively, stimulating role for someone who can combine bold creativity with the ability to execute. It’s a role that can grow as the Studio does, working alongside a warm, innovative team.
- Writing book descriptions and editorial content about books and corresponding ideas for social media posts, newsletters and other communications.
- Working closely with the co-founders to suggest and launch new initiatives within the Literary Arts Studio.
- Coordinating interviews and managing relevant correspondence.
- Coordinating in-person and online events, including finalizing bookings, arranging promotional materials and managing incoming queries.
- Managing interview, literary studio and event schedules.
- Managing Upstart & Crow social media accounts and e-newsletters in close collaboration with co-founders.
- Providing recommendations and ideas for new programs or deepening current offerings.
- Shifts at Upstart & Crow (arranging books, selling titles) will be required.
Qualities — Essential:
- In-depth knowledge of, and passion for, books and publishing.
- Ability to quickly extrapolate information and speak/write eloquently to key themes in fiction and non-fiction titles.
- Self-starter; independently motivated and proactive.
- Personable, with strong interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence.
- Keen understanding of social media.
- Experience using online event platforms such as Zoom, YouTube etc.
- Must be able to lift at least 20lbs and to stack books safely.
Qualities — Terrific to Have, But Not Essential:
- Experience in writing fundraising applications.
- Knowledge of and experience using Wordpress, Eventbrite, Adobe Creative Suite, Basic audio and video editing software.
- A balanced knowledge of both CanLit and international literature.
- Retail experience.
Salary commensurate with experience, in the range of $20-23 p/h.
We are seeking the right fit for our team, and welcome applications for either a part-time position (20 hours p/w) or a full-time position (40 hours p/w). Shifts are dependent on p/t or f/t role, but will primarily include office hours. Some evening hours will be required for monthly events.
Some work can be completed from a home office. The majority of work will occur in Upstart & Crow itself, both when open to the public and when closed. As above, we will consider exceptional remote candidates for a part-time position.
To apply: Email firstname.lastname@example.org with a cover letter and resume. Writing samples are most welcome. Please state whether you are seeking a part-time or full-time position (or either).