Telling Tales is a Canadian not-for-profit organization whose mission is to deliver outstanding literary programming for children and youth that raises awareness of the importance of literacy in our communities. Telling Tales is building a community of readers, writers, and story-tellers. Telling Tales’ programming strives to reflect the diversity of our communities. Our programming is always evolving to include a wide range of authors, artists, musicians, and poets - to engage even the most reluctant reader! We are looking or a literacy champion to join our team as the Development and Communications Manager.
The Telling Tales Development and Communication Manager (DCM) will help our growing team to build on Telling Tales strong local and growing provincial and national reputation. The DCM will play a key role in realizing both the Telling Tales mission and vision.
Responsibilities: Reporting to the Executive Director (ED), and working collaboratively with the Development Project Manager (DPM), this team player will take the lead in developing and executing the overall communication and marketing plan. They will play a strong supportive role in fundraising development.
Marketing and Communications: (50%)
- In consultation with the Executive Director, DPM, Board, and Steering committee – develop a comprehensive marketing plan to support the strategic goals of the full Telling Tales program. Scope includes writing, editing and taking responsibility for all marketing communications including, social media newsletter, blog, website content, press releases, plus supporting Development &Program Manager (DPM) on fundraising specific e-marketing campaigns.
- Contribute to award applications and grant writing proposals for private and government funding as required.
- Work collaboratively with DPM to support all events and activities.
- Assume overall responsibility for the design, production, and distribution of marketing material.
- Support DPM in the collection of surveys and analysis of results.
- Supervise marketing agencies on key creatives for website, poster, program, reading list, bookmark, advertising, and videography.
- Manage volunteers recruited to support social media campaign as needed.
- Develop and maintain relationships with media partners to maximize awareness and engagement.
- Support ED and DPM in maintaining relations with existing corporate partners, sponsors, local business supporters, and loyal patrons
- In collaboration with DPM, develop and support the implementation of the philanthropic-giving program.
- Deliver marketing campaigns incorporating innovative and strategic communication and solicitation strategies to maximize audience, engagement, and conversions
- In consultation with ED and DPM develop fundraising materials including proposals, grant applications, presentation decks, reports, acknowledgments and donor reports.
- Keep up to date with current marketing and fundraising and trends by following and networking with professional organizations such as AFP, FEO, CCBC.
Admin, Reporting Financial (25%)
- In tandem with DPM, play a key role in the development of contact base in database management.
- Keep up to date with a working knowledge of Salesforce or relevant CRM
- Maintain media list
- Regularly report on analytics and the effectiveness of specific campaigns and make recommendations to assist the organization in achieving their strategic goals.
- Take financial responsibility for marketing budget managing the cost and delivery of the design, production, print, and distribution of all TT marketing and related fundraising materials.
Education and Experience:
- The minimum required is post-secondary education in Marketing, Business, Arts Administration and/ or equivalent combination of education and experience in a related field.3 to 5 years of experience in marketing, public relations and fundraising. CFRE designation preferred.
- Experience and facility with all traditional and contemporary forms of communication including print and electronic, advertising, e-marketing, as well as keen interest in emerging web-based e-marketing and e-communications strategies
Knowledge and Skills:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including presentation, relationship management, communication, and negotiation skills.
- Team player with strong interpersonal skills who thrives in a collaborative environment but also works well independently.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing successful fundraising strategies, pursuing and maximizing new support and fundraising opportunities.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing comprehensive marketing plans, particularly for the non-profit sector and in the development, management, and distribution of print and online marketing collateral and communication tools.
- Demonstrated experience in developing pitches and proposals to secure partnerships and sponsorships, to attract philanthropic-giving, and in preparing of funding proposals.
- Solutions oriented with an ability to proactively identify and manage challenges and identify options to meet marketing/fundraising needs.
- Strong organizational skills to determine work priorities and manage multiple projects
- High level of professionalism, drive, and passion for delivering results
- Proven data management and analysis skills
- Proficient in the Microsoft Office suite of products, Salesforce not for profit and/or relevant CRM
- Possession of a valid Ontario Driver’s License and access to a car an asset.
Location: Home based with weekly/bi-weekly meetings in the Hamilton/ Burlington area.
Reports to: Executive Director
Contract term: One year
Occasional evening and weekend hours will be required to support events.
Deadline to apply: December 12th
Submission instructions. Send covering letter, resume and examples of communication work to firstname.lastname@example.org, together as one pdf.