Department: Academic Programs & Product Development
Reports to: Content and Project Manager
Job Summary: Working with the oversight of the Content & Project Manager and Instructional Designer, this role guides and complements the work of subject matter experts (SMEs) to develop curriculum and write textbook content using custom templates and structured authoring guidelines.
About the Insurance Institute
The Insurance Institute is the premier source of professional education and career development for the country’s property and casualty insurance industry. Established in 1899, the Institute is a not-for-profit organization serving more than 39,000 members across Canada through 19 volunteer-driven provincial institutes and chapters. Over 20,000 of those members are students and more than 19,000 are graduates who have earned the Chartered Insurance Professional (CIP) designation or Fellow Chartered Insurance Professional (FCIP) designation. We are a founding member of the Institute for Global Insurance Education (IGIE).
Duties & Responsibilities
This is a hands-on role that involves engaging line-by-line with course content at all stages of the design and development process.
- Design course outlines to achieve learning objectives following structured authoring (Learning Objects) guidelines and templates
- Develop and/or edit learning objectives with consultation from Subject Matter Experts (SMEs)
- Substantively edit, rewrite and/or restructure content from SMEs to align with learning objectives, limit scope creep/information overload, and ensure a consistent voice, style, and sound learning experience
- Apply instructional design/adult learning principles to enhance the learnability of written curriculum materials by sourcing, creating and/or editing complementary material such as visuals, examples, reflections, practice/challenge questions, case studies, scenarios
- Research technical insurance content provided by SMEs as necessary to ensure accuracy of text material and to inform the design of case studies/scenarios/examples etc.
- Proofread content/drafts
- Prepare text manuscript for production:
- Research iStock photos and indicate placement in the manuscript
- Submit exhibits (“art”) so they can be clearly redrawn (e.g., in a PowerPoint or in Excel)
- Complete the IIC visuals log, including writing alternative text for photos/art
- For each study/module, submit complete individual LO files and intro files
- Accept all tracked changes for a “clean” manuscript
- Indicate any IIC content re-use in a list
- Develop PowerPoint summaries for each study/chapter in the textbook
- Develop/edit practice test/exam questions
- Substantively edit existing materials (e.g., tutors notes, PPTs) and repost
Carry out other duties as assigned.
- Curriculum design
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Understanding of editorial/textbook development process
- Knowledge of Property & Casualty (P&C) insurance principles
- Excellent initiative and judgment
- Time management – ability to work to deadlines
- Work well in teams and independently
- Sound working knowledge of Microsoft Word & PowerPoint
- Familiarity with fair usage/copyright policies and practices
- Bilingualism (French) is an asset
- Undergraduate Degree
- Credential or certification in technical writing or editing or publishing, or equivalent professional experience
- Certification in adult learning or equivalent professional experience is an asset
- Insurance qualification or designation is an asset—General Insurance Essentials (GIE), Chartered Insurance Professional (CIP), Certified Risk Manager (CRM) or related insurance and/or financial training.
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in designing curriculum or technical writing within an academic and/or corporate environment.
- Experience managing and coordinating work with subject matter/technical experts
- Demonstrated success working with internal and external team members and/or volunteers to achieve project goals.
- Experience working in the P&C insurance industry is desirable.
To apply for this position, please send your resume and cover letter to: email@example.com by July 22, 2019.
The Insurance Institute welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.