Come join our incredible Journals team!
Here’s our Current Opening:
Position: Digital Content Coordinator
Reports to: Editorial and Production Manager
Location: Dufferin & Steeles area
Here’s what you’ll be doing….
You will manage the online presence of over 40 journals and support the Journals Division by participating in special projects as needed. The Digital Content Coordinator works to expand UTP Journals’ online profile, including adding new content to the online platform, archive digitization, enriching metadata, and updating UTP Journals’ websites and online presence.
• Maintains all UTP Journals websites, including ecommerce website, online platform, and journal microsites; regularly checks all websites for errors and out-of-date information; makes updates provided by internal and external contacts in a timely fashion
• Completes testing in advance of platform upgrades, researches new features, reports bugs to developer and monitors resolution
• Receives electronic content files from suppliers, checks for quality and completeness according to platform specs and individual journal requirements, and provides necessary feedback on web files to typesetters
• Collaborates with Marketing team to determine timing of web file publication
• Uploads web files (PDF, XML, and images) correctly and on schedule to online platform and reviews web content for accuracy, completeness, and consistency
• Transmits web files and instructions to other online publishing partners, including Project MUSE and Abstracting and Indexing databases and maintains automatic deposit feeds
• Monitors metadata deposits and resolves deposit issues as needed
• Creates and updates xml and xml headers as needed
• Creates new branded pages within the online platform for journals as needed
• Reviews electronic content, new pages and sites to ensure each issue, page and branded site published is complete and accessible
Here’s what we are looking for:
Education, Qualifications and Experience:
• University or College graduation
• Minimum 2 years’ experience working in a digital environment
• Experience in a scholarly or periodical publishing environment an asset
Knowledge, Skills and Attributes:
• Results and action oriented, creative and innovative big picture thinker
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, attention to detail, and time management skills
• Collaborative; flexible in changing situations; thrive in a fast-paced environment; manage multiple projects with ease
• Ability to work independently and demonstrate initiative
• Ability to consistently meet deadlines
• Keeps informed of industry trends and thrives in a changing environment
• Proficiency in Adobe Dreamweaver, oXygen, or other XML editing software; MS Word and Outlook;
• Proficiency in e-publishing, XML, HTML, and widget-based online platforms such as WordPress
• Familiarity with online ticketing systems and Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) an asset
• Familiarity with Photoshop
• Good knowledge of spelling, grammar, style, and usage
• Values matter to you. You bring your whole self to work and you live our values of accountability, innovation, respect, and customer focus
About our Journals Team
We are a tight group and enjoy each other’s company. We work in close collaboration with academic editors and associations and manage all aspects of the periodical publishing process. Along the way, we help editors manage the peer review process through our online peer review system; copy-edit the accepted material; handle typesetting and XML tagging, proofreading and printing; sell advertising space in our publications; promote our journals to an international market; process subscriber payments; provide customer service; and mail our journals to subscribers in every country across the globe.
About University of Toronto Press
Our organization is steeped in a rich history (UTP was founded in 1901) and today is Canada's leading scholarly publisher and one of North America’s premier academic presses. Our authors praise us for our commitment to quality and innovation and for our ability to successfully market books both in North America and around the world. We are honoured and proud that many of our books have received a number of awards.
Through the operation of several complementary divisions, it is our mission to publish exemplary works of scholarship, and to disseminate knowledge widely for the benefit of society. In addition to publishing books, we own and publish numerous high profile scholarly journals, distribute books to a broad range of other publishers through our warehouses in Toronto and Buffalo and operate highly regarded and successful campus stores for the University of Toronto.
We operate with mutual trust, respect, and integrity. We communicate in an open, honest, sensitive, and intelligent manner. We acknowledge the diversity, dignity, and worth of all individuals and respect their competencies and contributions. We seek continuous improvement, and foster an environment that encourages creativity and inspires people to make a difference. We are committed to making UTP a great place to work and grow!
Interested in applying?
Please visit our website to apply online https://utorontopress.com
We truly thank all applicants for their interest in joining the Press, only those candidates considered for an initial interview will be contacted.
The University of Toronto Press encourages applications from all qualified candidates. If you need accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information on our accommodation policies, please contact Human Resources at 416.978-2239 ext. 2255.