Job Description: Editor, Aperio magazine (contract)
The Azrieli Foundation is searching for an experienced popular science editor and writer to help coordinate, write and edit our publication, Aperio.
The candidate should have a science background, be skilled at time management and people management, and be an outstanding writer and editor.
Summary: Aperio is a magazine focusing on the Azrieli Fellows Program, which identifies, catalyzes and ignites human capital by building strong academic links between Israel and the rest of the world.
Objective of publication: The purpose of this magazine is twofold: first and foremost, to raise awareness globally—and particularly in Europe—about research in Israel, and secondly, to subtly promote the Azrieli Fellows Program and how it supports cutting-edge research in science. and other disciplines. Nature and format of publication: An approximately 40-page consumer-style magazine that follows in the best traditions of popular science by sharing news and information in an engaging and visually appealing way. The key is to engage our readers with great storytelling while maintaining the scientific accuracy by meticulously researching, editing, copy-editing and fact-checking. This full-colour magazine has a look, feel and voice that is fresh, modern, relevant and reader-friendly.
The publication includes:
- a variety of storytelling formats, including news, feature stories, Q&As, extended photo captions, and photo collages/essays
- content that demonstrates the important and impactful work of current and former Azrieli Fellows working in a variety of disciplines
- compelling design elements
- editorial contributions from skilled professional writers with backgrounds in journalism
The target audience is academics/researchers at universities and colleges
- Select and hire writers, with approval from Azrieli Fellows team
- Manage freelance writers, monitor their progress and adhere to freelance writing budget
- Coordinate submission of all content submitted
- Provide regular status updates to Azrieli Fellows team
- Secure approval of copy by Azrieli Fellows team prior to layout
- Gather and submit invoices for freelance contributors
- Review relevant background materials provided by Azrieli Fellows team
- Conduct research to gather information for articles
- Interview Fellows for information and quotes
- Write for magazine –one long article
- Secure photos from sources (as needed)
- Review and edit articles submitted by writers to ensure appropriate editorial tone, style and length
- Ensure Fellows review and approve articles
- Adjust text based on copy editor’s changes
- Create appropriate headings, decks, subheadings, photo captions and pull quotes
- Conform copy to meet Canadian Press style and Foundation’s in-house editorial style guide
- Oversee final proofread of PDF layout
- Provide final copy in Word to designer
Contract term: September 2021 to February 2022
Location: Contract from home
Submit your resume, cover letter and links to current work to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than August 13.