The Communications Unit of The United Church of Canada is seeking an individual to fill the role of Editor/Project Coordinator on a full-time (35 hrs/wk) basis for a two-year term.
The Communications Unit supports the General Council and Regional Councils in presenting the public face of The United Church of Canada through appropriate communications and publishing programs. The United Church offers books, websites, periodicals, videos, reports, fundraising materials, brochures, etc. for education, worship, congregational life, justice, outreach, stewardship, governance, finance, and ecumenical dialogue for all ages. These are developed in conjunction with program units or upon the initiative of the Communications Unit.
The Editor/Project Coordinator manages print and Web projects for the General Council Office through all stages from planning through editing and proofreading to final signoff, ensuring deadlines are met. The main areas of focus for this position will be:
- Content and copy editing; structural/substantive editing; proofreading; writing and rewriting for clarity; fact-checking and ensuring accuracy of content; negotiating changes with internal and external authors; approving final and printer’s proofs;
- Tagging Microsoft Word files using Styles to clarify document structure;
- Ensuring copyright and ensuring appropriateness of content and language re: United Church ethos and human rights/diversity issues.
- In consultation with Publisher, Creative Services, coordinating with freelance editors for the editing tasks as needed;
- Creating and tracking production schedules; resolving conflicting priorities, schedules, and deadlines;
- Advising on appropriate medium, content, format, and design;
- Confirming specs and quantities for print resources;
- Coordinating French translation;
- Updating existing webpages and posting news and other webpages using a content management system; working with Web staff to reorganize or rewrite webpages or sections of the website;
- Building mailing plans with unit staff; receiving completed mailing lists from unit;
- Working with designers, Web managers, Webinar staff, marketing staff, social media staff, video producer, and French Editor/Project Coordinator to ensure all aspects of a project are coordinated;
- Checking e-books for accurate conversion structure and inclusion of completed metadata.
Formatting Word and PDF files:
- creating simple, presentable, tagged Word files such as forms, handbooks, and other materials, particularly for the Web; converting files to Adobe PDF and adding metadata (document properties), bookmarks, and auto-generated tables of contents.
- writing blurbs for ads and other marketing materials, e-newsletters and social media, and website updates;
- writing webpages that have no other staff person assigned to them.
- Post secondary education, plus a minimum of 3-5 years’ related experience; Editors Canada professional certification is an asset;
- Excellent editing, proofreading, and writing skills and a sharp eye for detail;
- Superior project and time management skills, including the ability to juggle multiple projects that may each have several components. working with competing deadlines;
- Advanced Microsoft Word skills, including editing on screen, using styles/tags, advanced formatting (creating tables, inserting headers/footers, creating auto-generated tables of contents, etc.) are required;
- Superior problem-solving skills, including being able to see connections among broad areas to identify overlaps or gaps in resource plans;
- Knowledge of design/graphic arts, printing processes, and digital communications;
- Experience using Adobe Acrobat to create PDFs and insert metadata (document properties) and bookmarks is an asset;
- Experience writing and posting Web content in a content management system (CMS) is an asset;
- Knowledge of French is an asset.
This position works from the General Council Office located in Toronto, Ontario (Islington/Bloor) under normal office working conditions. Attendance at occasional evening and weekend meetings may be required.
Compensation: Annual salary will be based on skills and experience, within the range of $48,492 - $64,655. Pension and group benefit plans coverage and annual vacation round out the compensation package.
How to Apply: Interested applicants are invited to submit their resume, quoting job number 18-32 to: email@example.com