Want to work with Canada’s leading scholarly publisher? Then, come and join our incredible Journals team.
Here’s our Current Opening:
Position: Editorial and Permissions Coordinator
Reports To: Editorial and Production Manager
Location: Dufferin & Steeles area
Here’s what you’ll be doing ….
You will be responsible for the editorial and peer review management of two to three of UTP’s social science and humanities titles; the maintenance of UTP’s online peer review system, ScholarOne; the ScholarOne set up of other journals as assigned; and management of permissions requests.
Editorial Support (65%)
- Project management of 2–3 social sciences and humanities journals
- Primary liaison between UTP staff, the journal editorial team, and editorial boards
- Review incoming manuscripts to ensure compliance with submission standards and corresponds with authors
- Invites and secures reviewers and delivers manuscripts to reviewers
- Generates the proposed journal issue line-up for each issue in consultation with the editor and staff
- Prepares and submits issue manuscripts for XML processing and copy editing
- Proofreads proofs and inserts corrections in PDF
- Works with copyeditors and translators to ensure deadlines are met
- Attends various editorial board meetings, takes minutes, prepares and circulates journal reports and agendas
- Works with editors to facilitate new journal initiatives and events
Online peer review system (20%)
- Maintains online peer review system; provides support to users
- Provides demos to prospective and new journals
- Develops specifications for new journals and coordinates with vendor to set up and test new sites
- Reviews and tests new features, as needed, and reports bugs to vendor
- Initiates and oversees improvements to journal sites to improve usability
- Processes permission requests:
- Verifies publication information
- Notifies author of permission request
- Determines permission price, prepares contracts
- Monitors unpaid requests
Here’s what we are looking for:
Education, Qualifications and Experience:
- University graduate or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Publishing certificate or working towards completion of certificate
- 2+ years experience in: publishing, including editorial and/or production; a scholarly environment; or other relevant client-facing role
- Working knowledge of written and spoken French is preferred
- Understanding of peer review process an asset
Knowledge, Skills and Attributes:
- Effective verbal and written communication skills, presentation skills
- Customer service oriented, relationship-building skills, tact and good judgment
- Highly organized
- Ability to problem solve; set/meet deadlines, work independently, manage multiple projects with competing priorities
- Proficiency in MS Office, in particular MS Word, Excel, and Outlook required
- Superior comfort level in an online environment
- A good fit with our core values of respect, innovation and accountability
About our Journals Team
We are a tight group and enjoy each other’s company. We work in close collaboration with academic editors and associations and manage all aspects of the periodical publishing process. Along the way, we help editors manage the peer review process through our online peer review system; copy-edit the accepted material; handle typesetting and XML tagging, proofreading and printing; sell advertising space in our publications; promote our journals to an international market; process subscriber payments; provide customer service; and mail our journals to subscribers in every country across the globe.
About University of Toronto Press
Our organization is steeped in a rich history (UTP was founded in 1901) and today is Canada's leading scholarly publisher and one of North America’s premier academic presses. Our authors praise us for our commitment to quality and innovation and for our ability to successfully market books both in North America and around the world. We are honoured and proud that many of our books have received a number of awards.
Through the operation of several complementary divisions, it is our mission to publish exemplary works of scholarship, and to disseminate knowledge widely for the benefit of society. In addition to publishing books, we own and publish numerous high profile scholarly journals, distribute books to a broad range of other publishers through our warehouses in Toronto and Buffalo and operate highly regarded and successful campus stores for the University of Toronto.
We operate with mutual trust, respect, and integrity. We communicate in an open, honest, sensitive, and intelligent manner. We acknowledge the diversity, dignity, and worth of all individuals and respect their competencies and contributions. We seek continuous improvement, and foster an environment that encourages creativity and inspires people to make a difference. We are committed to making UTP a great place to work and grow!
Interested in Applying?
Please send your resume with a covering letter by February 23 2018, to: firstname.lastname@example.org Please indicate, Editorial and Permissions Coordinator in the subject line and your salary expectations in the covering letter.
We truly thank all applicants for their interest in joining the Press, only those candidates considered for an initial interview will be contacted.
The University of Toronto Press encourages applications from all qualified candidates. If you need accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information on our accommodation policies, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or 416.978-2239 ext. 2255.