Come join our incredible Journals team!
Here’s our Current Opening:
Position: Editorial and Production Manager
Reports to: VP, Journals
Location: Dufferin & Steeles area
Here’s what you’ll be doing….
You will lead, coach and motivate a team of 7 editorial and production staff in providing a suite of publishing services to our clients and journals, provide guidance and support in editorial and production matters, oversee the ongoing maintenance and upgrades of two online platforms, and manage editorial and production budgets.
• Leads team in production of 45+ scholarly journals by facilitating clear communication among internal staff and external clients and vendors; verifying the presence of signed author agreements and permissions to reproduce materials such as images, videos, and other material to which authors do not hold copyright; maintaining high quality at various stages of editorial and production processes
• Motivates teams to produce high quality publications on time and on budget
• Establishes and communicates clear priorities and sense of direction to team; clarifies roles and responsibilities; adapts style to suit individual and business needs
• Ensures that no article or journal issue is published without the appropriate rights
• Tracks and enforces project schedules and deadlines; plans and organizes handling of special projects (extra/supplementary issues, monographs, etc.)
• Recognizes when change is necessary, leads new initiatives, and develops an effective plan to implement positive change
• Participates in investigating (and, if adopted, testing and implementing) new technological solutions for online peer review and editorial/production processes
• Maintains strong relationships with clients and ensures ongoing client satisfaction with editorial and production services
• Contributes to on-site and off-site meetings with clients and leads internal meetings with team
• Assists in evaluating potential targets for acquisition, advises on and participates in the process of integrating new journals into the publishing program
• Manages typesetting, printing, and online publishing technology vendors as well as design and editorial freelancers, ensuring consistent high-quality service while also monitoring costs and ensuring that budgets are not exceeded
• Undertakes related other duties and special projects as determined by changing business needs
Here’s what we are looking for:
Education, Qualifications and Experience:
• University graduate; people management training is an asset
• 4–7 years of work experience, preferably in scholarly publishing or publishing environment
• Minimum 3 years of experience in a people management role
• Experience working with technology platforms and vendors
Knowledge, Skills and Attributes:
• Results and action oriented
• Customer/client focused with the ability to anticipate client needs
• Project management, critical thinking, and problem solving skills
• Knowledge of global journal market and understanding of key industry developments, such as Open Access and changes in copyright laws
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills; ability to build strong working relationships and a positive work environment
• Strategic thinking, agility/flexibility, creativity
• Tact and good judgement; grace under pressure; ability to set, meet, and enforce deadlines
• Strong time management, organizational skills and attention to detail; ability to manage multiple projects and competing priorities
• Values matter to you. You bring your whole self to work and you live our values of accountability, innovation, respect, and customer focus
About our Journals Team
We are a tight group and enjoy each other’s company. We work in close collaboration with academic editors and associations and manage all aspects of the periodical publishing process. Along the way, we help editors manage the peer review process through our online peer review system; copy-edit the accepted material; handle typesetting and XML tagging, proofreading and printing; sell advertising space in our publications; promote our journals to an international market; process subscriber payments; provide customer service; and mail our journals to subscribers around the world.
About University of Toronto Press
Our organization is steeped in a rich history (UTP was founded in 1901) and today is Canada's leading scholarly publisher and one of North America’s premier academic presses. Our authors praise us for our commitment to quality and innovation and for our ability to successfully market books both in North America and around the world. We are honoured and proud that many of our books have received a number of awards.
Through the operation of several complementary divisions, it is our mission to publish exemplary works of scholarship, and to disseminate knowledge widely for the benefit of society. In addition to publishing books, we own and publish numerous high profile scholarly journals, distribute books to a broad range of other publishers through our warehouses in Toronto and Buffalo and operate highly regarded and successful campus stores for the University of Toronto.
We operate with mutual trust, respect, and integrity. We communicate in an open, honest, sensitive, and intelligent manner. We acknowledge the diversity, dignity, and worth of all individuals and respect their competencies and contributions. We seek continuous improvement, and foster an environment that encourages creativity and inspires people to make a difference. We are committed to making UTP a great place to work and grow!
Interested in applying?
Please visit our website to apply online https://utorontopress.com
We truly thank all applicants for their interest in joining the Press, only those candidates considered for an initial interview will be contacted.
The University of Toronto Press encourages applications from all qualified candidates. If you need accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information on our accommodation policies, please contact Human Resources at 416.978-2239 ext. 2255.