Want to work with Canada’s leading scholarly publisher? Then come and join our incredible Book Publishing team!
Here’s our Current Opening:
Position: Editorial Assistant
Reports to: Manager, Social Sciences Acquisitions
Division: Book Publishing
Location: Bay & College
Here’s what you’ll be doing….
Assist the Manager, Social Sciences Acquisitions and a team of Acquisitions Editors with the signing, development, and publishing of outstanding scholarly, course, and trade books. You will be involved in coordinating the peer review process, clearing permissions, conducting market research, and preparing manuscripts, art work, and ancillaries for transmittal into production.
- Secure reviewers for projects as directed by the Acquisitions Editor (AE).
- Direct reviewers with clear guidelines and deadlines.
- Manage tracking grid to monitor and follow up on reviews to ensure timely delivery.
- Provide completed reports to AE upon
- Report monthly on review statistics.
- Act as an in-house resource for permissions clearance by educating authors and AEs on permissions requirements and keeping our templates, forms, and guidelines up to date.
- Hire and supervise permissions freelancers, as required.
- Assist authors with clearing permissions, as required.
- These activities are designed to support the acquisition process and will vary depending on the shifting requirements of the
- Prepare manuscript for the review phase or for transmittal into
- Review artwork against UTP requirements and create art
- Development of ancillary plans and ancillary materials for select
- Conduct market research as assigned.
- Assist with special projects as
Here’s what we are looking for:
Education, Qualifications and Experience:
- University graduate
- Two years’ publishing experience
- Successful completion of publishing program
Knowledge, Skills and Attributes:
- Knowledge of the higher education community and the publishing industry, particularly academic publishing
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Highly organized with proven analytic ability and excellent research skills
- Expertise with Microsoft Suite, including Excel along with Adobe Professional, Social Media (i.e. Facebook, Twitter)
- Experience with Illustrator an asset
- Knowledge of Canadian and US copyright law an asset
- A great fit with our core values of respect, innovation and accountability
About our Book Publishing Team
The Book Publishing division has a staff of over 40 full time and contract employees and operates out of 800 Bay Street. The division publishes 180 books annually including scholarly monographs primarily aimed at university libraries and faculty, course books intended for student use, and trade titles aimed at the informed general reader. Our authors come from around the world and we serve a global market.
About University of Toronto Press
Our organization is steeped in a rich history (UTP was founded in 1901) and today is Canada's leading scholarly publisher and one of North America’s premier academic presses. Our authors praise us for our commitment to quality and innovation and for our ability to successfully market books both in North America and around the world. We are honoured and proud that many of our books have received a number of awards.
Through the operation of several complementary divisions, it is our mission to publish exemplary works of scholarship, and to disseminate knowledge widely for the benefit of society. In addition to publishing books, we own and publish numerous high profile scholarly journals, distribute books to a broad range of other publishers through our warehouses in Toronto and Buffalo and operate highly regarded and successful campus stores for the University of Toronto.
We operate with mutual trust, respect, and integrity. We communicate in an open, honest, sensitive, and intelligent manner. We acknowledge the diversity, dignity, and worth of all individuals and respect their competencies and contributions. We seek continuous improvement, and foster an environment that encourages creativity and inspires people to make a difference. We are committed to making UTP a great place to work and grow!
Interested in applying?
Please visit our website to apply online https://utorontopress.com
We truly thank all applicants for their interest in joining the Press, only those candidates considered for an initial interview will be contacted.
The University of Toronto Press encourages applications from all qualified candidates. If you need accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information on our accommodation policies, please contact Human Resources 416.978-2239 ext. 2255.