Want to work with Canada’s leading scholarly publisher? Then come and join our incredible Book Publishing team!
Here’s our Current Opening:
Position: Editorial Assistant
Reports to: Manager, Social Sciences Acquisitions
Division: Book Publishing
Location: Bay & College
Here’s what you’ll be doing….
You are a highly organized, results-driven, and detail-oriented individual with excellent verbal and writing skills who will provide administrative and editorial support for a team of Acquisitions Editors in our Book Publishing division.
You will assist the social sciences Acquisitions Editors to sign, develop, and publish outstanding scholarly, course, and trade books.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone passionate about establishing a career in academic publishing.
- Manage the peer review process for Acquisitions Editors
- Initiate the cover design process for all social science titles and track covers to completion
- Submit monthly reports on peer review, cover design, and contract activities
- Prepare manuscripts and ancillary materials for transmittal into production
- Identify permissionable items in manuscripts and prepare art and permissions inventories
- Contract subject matter experts to work on ancillary materials for textbooks
- Clear permissions and/or supervise permissions freelancers, as needed
- Monitor submission of book contracts and contributor agreements
- Market research, as needed
Here’s what we are looking for:
Education, Qualifications and Experience:
- University graduate
- Successful completion of a publishing program is preferred
- At least one year of experience in an administrative and/or editorial role, preferably in a publishing context
Knowledge, Skills and Attributes:
- Highly developed organization skills
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Results-driven and able to meet deadlines
- Detail-oriented with an awareness of how details relate to the “big picture”
- Excellent time management skills and capable of multi-tasking and prioritizing across departments, activities, and projects
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to interact effectively and collaborate with authors, vendors, and Press staff
- Proactive, flexible, and adaptive to change
- Mastery of email and calendar management tools (such as Outlook)
- Proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Working knowledge of Adobe Professional, Photoshop and InDesign
- A great fit with our core values of respect, innovation and accountability
About our Book Publishing Team
The Book Publishing division has a staff of over 40 full time and contract employees and operates out of 800 Bay Street. The division publishes 180 books annually including scholarly monographs primarily aimed at university libraries and faculty, course books intended for student use, and trade titles aimed at the informed general reader. Our authors come from around the world and we serve a global market.
About University of Toronto Press
Our organization is steeped in a rich history (UTP was founded in 1901) and today is Canada's leading scholarly publisher and one of North America’s premier academic presses. Our authors praise us for our commitment to quality and innovation and for our ability to successfully market books both in North America and around the world. We are honoured and proud that many of our books have received a number of awards.
Through the operation of several complementary divisions, it is our mission to publish exemplary works of scholarship, and to disseminate knowledge widely for the benefit of society. In addition to publishing books, we own and publish numerous high profile scholarly journals, distribute books to a broad range of other publishers through our warehouses in Toronto and Buffalo and operate highly regarded and successful campus stores for the University of Toronto.
We operate with mutual trust, respect, and integrity. We communicate in an open, honest, sensitive, and intelligent manner. We acknowledge the diversity, dignity, and worth of all individuals and respect their competencies and contributions. We seek continuous improvement, and foster an environment that encourages creativity and inspires people to make a difference. We are committed to making UTP a great place to work and grow!
Interested in applying?
Please visit our website to apply online https://utorontopress.com/ca/careers
We truly thank all applicants for their interest in joining the Press, only those candidates considered for an initial interview will be contacted.
The University of Toronto Press encourages applications from all qualified candidates. If you need accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information on our accommodation policies, please contact Human Resources at 416.978-2239 ext. 2255.