Job Description – Editorial Assistant (contract position) – Book Publishing
Canadian Scholars/Women’s Press is seeking an Editorial Assistant. The successful candidate will be responsible for assisting the book publishing staff in the acquisition, development, and production of academic titles. This is a parental leave contract position and is based out of our downtown Toronto office.
The assistant is responsible for:
- Market research—assessing market potential for books that are being considered for publication
- Writing copy, proofreading, and copyediting (assisting in checking proofs, back cover copy, indexes, etc.)
- Supporting publishing staff in all activities leading to publication
- Assisting in the creation of teaching materials
- Assisting with the manuscript review process
- Managing the book permissions process
- Creating PDFs and metadata for electronic distribution through VitalSource
- Assisting in the preparation of manuscripts for production
- Mailing and distributing books to authors and contributors
- Assisting in the grant application process
- Other duties as assigned
The ideal candidate is an excellent multi-tasker with exceptional organizational skills, attention to detail, and a university degree. A certificate in book publishing and/or experience working in book publishing is required. The successful candidate will have copyediting and research skills and be very comfortable with Microsoft Office Suite (especially Excel and Word) and Adobe Acrobat.
Salary is dependent on qualifications and experience. Please submit a cover letter and resume in a single pdf to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 26th, 2018.
Canadian Scholars/Women’s Press is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to equality and diversity, and we encourage applicants from underrepresented communities. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.