Come join our incredible Journals team!
Here’s our current opening:
Position: Editorial, Design, and Production Coordinator, 20 - month contract
Reports To: Editorial and Production Manager
Location: North York*
Here’s what you’ll be doing….
Responsible for managing the editorial and production workflow for approximately 10 scholarly journals, ensuring that issues are published in print and online in a timely manner. The EDP is also responsible for the editorial and peer review management of 3-4 of UTP’s titles using the online peer review system.
*The position will commence with working remotely from home, until normal office operations can resume safely.
Editorial Support (30%)
• Review incoming manuscripts to ensure compliance; correspond with authors when needed
• Invite and secure reviewers; deliver manuscripts to reviewers with a timeline for work to be completed; keeps track of the manuscripts in process
• Oversee the book review process
• Prepare and disseminate bi-monthly agendas and any necessary editorial packages for editors for editorial meetings (via teleconference)
• Attend various editorial board meetings, takes minutes, prepares/circulates journal reports, and agendas
• Maintain journal status reports
• Provide online peer review system technical support to clients, editors and authors
Production and Design Support (70%)
• Facilitate communication between internal staff, journal authors and editors, and external vendors and freelancers
• Maintain all journal schedules and deadlines
• Receive files from editorial office and/or from authors; assesses files for completeness and compliance with journal style; sends manuscripts to vendors for content preparation and XML tagging
• Maintain contact information database; coordinates author agreements and author welcome letters
• Coordinate freelance and vendor copyediting, determining individual budgets and enforcing compliance with deadlines
• Collect appropriate permissions to reproduce images, videos, and any other material to which the article author(s) does not hold rights
• Receive and review PDF proofs from compositor; send to authors, editors, and proofreaders
• Evaluate and insert requested author revisions and final editor changes
• Support Digital Content Coordinator by obtaining complete and accurate web files
• Assist with integration and set-up of new journals
Here’s what we are looking for:
Education, Qualifications, and Experience:
• University/college graduate or equivalent combination of education/experience
• 3+ years’ experience in journal publishing or related environment, including editorial, design, and/or production
• Publishing certificate an asset
• French language an asset
Knowledge, Skills, and Attributes:
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; pro-active problem-solving skills; flexibility, adaptability, and organizational skills
• Tact and good judgement; grace under pressure; ability to set, meet, and enforce deadlines
• Ability to work both independently and cooperatively, demonstrating both initiative and collaboration
• Strong time management, organizational skills and attention to detail; ability to manage multiple projects and competing priorities
• Proficiency in Windows, MS Office, Adobe Acrobat, Adobe InDesign, and Photoshop
• Strong knowledge of English spelling, grammar, style, and usage; skill in proofreading
• Familiarity with copyright and permission issues related to publishing
• Familiarity with e-publishing and XML an asset
• Values matter to you. You bring your whole self to work and you live our values of accountability, innovation, respect, and customer focus
About our Journals team
The Journals Division has been an important part of the Press since its foundation and has built a strong reputation for excellence in scholarship and innovation in publishing. We work hand-in-hand with world-class authors, editors and scholarly societies to publish 40+ journals in a variety of disciplines, including the humanities, social sciences, and medicine. We are passionate about high-quality content, digital distribution, and the success of scholarly journals and are making major strides forward in areas such as online peer review systems and multimedia publishing, such as videos and podcasts.
About University of Toronto Press
Our organization is steeped in a rich history (UTP was founded in 1901) and today is Canada's leading scholarly publisher and one of North America’s premier academic presses. We have published over 6,500 books and each year we publish approximately 200 new scholarly, course, and general interest books in both print and ebook and more than 40 Journals. Our authors praise us for our commitment to quality and innovation and for our ability to successfully market books both in North America and around the world. We are honoured and proud that many of our books have received a number of awards.
Through the operation of several complementary divisions, it is our mission to publish exemplary works of scholarship, and to disseminate knowledge widely for the benefit of society. In addition to publishing books, we own and publish numerous high profile scholarly journals, distribute books to a broad range of other publishers through our warehouses in Toronto and Buffalo and operate highly regarded and successful campus stores for the University of Toronto.
We operate with mutual trust, respect, and integrity. We communicate in an open, honest, sensitive, and intelligent manner. We acknowledge the diversity, dignity, and worth of all individuals and respect their competencies and contributions. We seek continuous improvement, and foster an environment that encourages creativity and inspires people to make a difference. We are committed to making UTP a great place to work and grow!
Interested in applying?
Please visit our website to apply online https://utorontopress.com
We truly thank all applicants for their interest in joining the Press, only those candidates considered for an initial interview will be contacted.
The University of Toronto Press encourages applications from all qualified candidates. If you need accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information on our accommodation policies, please contact Human Resources at 416.978-2239 ext. 2255.