Come join our incredible Journals team!
Here’s our current opening:
Position: Editorial, Design, and Production Coordinator
Reports To: Editorial and Production Manager
Location: North York*
Here’s what you’ll be doing….
Responsible for managing the editorial and production workflow for approximately 2 scholarly journals, ensuring that issues are published in print and online in a timely manner. The EDP is also responsible for the editorial and peer review management of 14 to 20 of UTP’s titles using the online peer review system and providing general support for journals using the system.
*The position will commence with working remotely from home, until normal office operations can resume safely.
Editorial Support (70%)
• Review incoming manuscripts to ensure compliance with submission standards and corresponds with authors
• Invite and secure reviewers and delivers manuscripts to reviewers with a timeline for work to be completed and instructions on delivery of review
• Oversee the book review process, including the entry of review books into online peer review system; arranges for mailing of books to reviewers
• Prepare and disseminate bi-monthly agendas and any necessary editorial packages for editors for virtual editorial meetings
• Attend various editorial board meetings, takes minutes, prepares and circulates journal reports, agendas, and any other necessary documents
• Prepare and distribute monthly reports and data related to the online peer review system and submissions
• Provide online peer review system technical support to clients, editors and authors
• Lead the development of new sites on the manuscript submission and peer review site
Production and Design Support (30%)
• Facilitate clear communication between internal staff, journal authors and editors, and external vendors and freelancers
• Maintain all journal schedules and deadlines, and enforces manuscript submission deadlines
• Receive files from editorial office and/or from authors; assesses files for completeness and compliance with journal style; confirms that all images, figures, and photos are of sufficient resolution; sends manuscripts to vendors for content preparation and XML tagging
• Maintain contact information database; coordinates author agreements and author welcome letters
• Coordinate freelance and vendor copyediting, determining individual budgets and enforcing deadlines, while monitoring the quality of work and compliance with journal styles
• Collect appropriate permissions to reproduce images, videos, and any other material to which the article author(s) does not hold rights
• Evaluate and insert requested author revisions and final editor changes using Adobe Acrobat, reviews typeset revisions for accuracy, and checks final print-ready files for quality and completeness
Here’s what we are looking for:
Education, Qualifications, and Experience:
• University graduate; or equivalent combination of education and experience
• 3+ years’ experience in journal publishing or related environment, including editorial, design, and/or production
• Publishing certificate an asset
• French language an asset
Knowledge, Skills, and Attributes:
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; pro-active problem-solving skills; flexibility, adaptability, and organizational skills
• Tact and good judgement; grace under pressure; ability to set, meet, and enforce deadlines
• Ability to work both independently and cooperatively, demonstrating both initiative and collaboration
• Strong time management, organizational skills and attention to detail; ability to manage multiple projects and competing priorities
• Proficiency in Windows, MS Office, Adobe Acrobat, Adobe InDesign, and Photoshop
• Strong knowledge of English spelling, grammar, style, and usage; skill in proofreading
• Familiarity with copyright and permission issues related to publishing
• Familiarity with e-publishing and XML an asset
• Values matter to you. You bring your whole self to work and you live our values of accountability, innovation, respect, and customer focus
About our Journals team
We are a tight group and enjoy each other’s company. We work in close collaboration with academic editors and associations and manage all aspects of the periodical publishing process. Along the way, we help editors manage the peer review process through our online peer review system; copy-edit the accepted material; handle typesetting and XML tagging, proofreading and printing; sell advertising space in our publications; promote our journals to an international market; process subscriber payments; provide customer service; and mail our journals to subscribers around the world.
About University of Toronto Press
Our organization is steeped in a rich history (UTP was founded in 1901) and today is Canada's leading scholarly publisher and one of North America’s premier academic presses. Our authors praise us for our commitment to quality and innovation and for our ability to successfully market books both in North America and around the world. We are honoured and proud that many of our books have received a number of awards.
Through the operation of several complementary divisions, it is our mission to publish exemplary works of scholarship, and to disseminate knowledge widely for the benefit of society. In addition to publishing books, we own and publish numerous high profile scholarly journals, distribute books to a broad range of other publishers through our warehouses in Toronto and Buffalo and operate highly regarded and successful campus stores for the University of Toronto.
We operate with mutual trust, respect, and integrity. We communicate in an open, honest, sensitive, and intelligent manner. We acknowledge the diversity, dignity, and worth of all individuals and respect their competencies and contributions. We seek continuous improvement, and foster an environment that encourages creativity and inspires people to make a difference. We are committed to making UTP a great place to work and grow!
Interested in applying?
Please visit our website to apply online https://utorontopress.com
We truly thank all applicants for their interest in joining the Press, only those candidates considered for an initial interview will be contacted.
The University of Toronto Press encourages applications from all qualified candidates. If you need accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information on our accommodation policies, please contact Human Resources at 416.978.2239 ext. 2255.