Are you passionate about children’s books, finding original voices, and developing new ways of telling stories? Owlkids, one of Canada’s leading publishers of books and magazines for children and a division of Bayard Canada, is seeking a full-time Editorial Director to work in its transit-friendly midtown Toronto office as part of its book publishing team.
Reporting to the Publisher, the successful candidate will work closely with the editorial, design, sales and marketing departments of Owlkids Books to lead the development of a growing publishing program, as well as acquiring and editing their own list of titles.
The ideal candidate will have:
- a track record of acquiring books that are both critically and financially successful, as well as a demonstrated ability to originate, acquire, and edit work from established authors and to spot and develop distinctive new talent;
- the ability to lead and motivate a team of editors and designers in the acquisition and development of book projects, along with a commitment to fostering excellence, creativity, innovation, diversity mindset, and a spirit of cooperation within the department;
- the ability to proactively cultivate relationships with authors, agents, illustrators, and customers, and to be an ambassador for Owlkids Books within the creative industries and communities;
- a minimum of ten years of experience in children’s trade book publishing with a broad range of skills to support the publishing program and company.
Knowledge and skills required include:
- a strong working knowledge of all aspects of the publishing process, from pre-acquisition to post-publication;
- excellent project management, communications and leadership skills;
- outstanding editorial and visual skills and attention to detail;
- a deep understanding of children’s literature and culture;
- expert knowledge of the children’s book industry, including creators, educational curriculum, and the overall marketplace;
- flexibility and strong coaching and mentoring skills.
Owlkids is strongly committed to equity and diversity in the workplace. We offer an excellent benefits program, as well as a safe and collaborative work environment. If you require accommodations during the interview process, we will work with you to meet your needs.
Applicants should forward their résumé and cover letter by March 27, 2020, to email@example.com with the subject line “Editorial Director.” Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.