Canadian Science Publishing (CSP) is Canada’s not-for-profit leader in mobilizing scientific knowledge to strengthen its integrity, accessibility, and impact. With over 50 highly skilled and internationally renowned subject-expert Editors, CSP communicates scientific discoveries to more than 125 countries and connects researchers from diverse fields.
We are Canada’s largest publisher of scientific journals, with a suite of publications that covers the spectrum of science and engineering, spanning fundamental and applied sciences. As a first mover in open access, we publish three open access journals, including FACETS. FACETS is Canada’s first and only multidisciplinary open access science journal, publishing leading research in six major scientific disciplines, including the innovative Integrative Sciences section that publishes papers in science communication, science education, and more. The FACETS website (www.facetsjournal.com) uses dynamic technologies to provide the reader with the best possible online experience.
We are proud to support a number of community initiatives, including awards, conference sponsorships, and society partnerships. We proudly participate in international programs such as Research4Life, INASP and TEEAL, which provide developing countries free access to our material. Learn more at www.cdnsciencepub.com.
We offer an attractive compensation and benefits rewards program with the opportunity to work a flexible schedule. Our head office location near Prince of Wales Drive and Hunt Club West is close to restaurants and shops, and is accessible by OC Transpo.
We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Reporting to the Manager, Marketing and Communications, the Journal Development Specialist plays a key role in the promotion of CSP’s journal content development strategy and is responsible for implementing marketing activities to increase quality submissions to Canadian Science Publishing’s subscription-based and open access journals. This role also involves outreach and relationship building with potential authors, researchers, scholarly societies, and CSP journal editors, attending scientific conferences to raise the profile of CSP journals to potential authors and readers, and providing reports to the management team as required. This position has no reports.
- Participates in the development of yearly journal strategic plans for CSP’s subscription and Open Access journals in collaboration with the journal editors and CSP’s managing editors.
- Working with the Marketing & Communications Manager, develops annual plans and budgets based on journal strategic plans and identified priority journals, recommends and implements various marketing activities aimed at journal promotion and submission growth such as conferences, events, exhibits, sponsorships, advertising, emarketing, awards. etc.); assesses effectiveness of these activities and makes appropriate recommendations.
- Actively works to increase journal awareness and quality submissions for both subscription and OA journals by collaborating with Managing Editors and Open Access Manager to identify appropriate strategies and activities.
- Researches potential marketing activities, manages and negotiates their costs, and oversees follow-up and follow-through activities, coordinating implementation with internal team members as appropriate.
- Works with internal teams to develop marketing collateral, raise awareness of CSP journals, and drive attendance to CSP events and booths.
- Tracks expenditures for all journal development marketing activities, ensuring adherence to the journal development and promotion budget.
- Initiates and fosters positive relationships with external journal editors, researchers, and scientific societies to promote submissions and journal awareness to CSP journals.
- Researches potential authors via online tools (e.g. Dimensions, Web of Science), builds lists of potential authors, and undertakes direct outreach via email and social media.
- Attends scientific society meetings and conferences to promote CSP journals to potential authors and readers as well as raise brand awareness; staffs CSP exhibit booths at conferences (national and international) actively promoting CSPs products and services and increasing engagement and brand awareness.
- Follows up on leads from conferences, editors, societies, and other sources to increase submissions to CSP journals.
- Meets regularly with the Managing Editors and Journal Editors to plan marketing and promotional activities for CSP journals, collaborate on strategy, and ensure that priorities are in alignment.
- Manages CSP journal awards program and works with appropriate internal staff to administer the awards.
- Provides reports to CSP management on journal development activities and results as requested.
- Provides advice and assistance to journal editors on how to effectively promote their journals to their scientific communities
- Other projects and tasks, as required.
Key Qualifications and Educational Requirements
- Three to five years’ experience in marketing, or sales and marketing, preferably in a publishing environment (scholarly publishing experience is considered an asset);
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in a business discipline, preferably marketing.
- Skilled at building relationships, in-person, over the phone, and electronically.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct research, determine necessary action plans, achieve results, and work to deadlines.
- Organized self-starter with exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a proven ability to participate effectively in and collaborate with a diverse team environment, as well as work efficiently independently.
- Highly adaptable and results-focused professional.
- Must be available to travel within Canada, the United States, and internationally (up to 25% of their time).
- Ability to speak French fluently would be considered an asset.
Astra Groskaufmanis, Director Human Resources