Dundurn Press is looking for a creative, highly organized, and enthusiastic book lover to join our sales and marketing team!
What You Will Be Doing
Reporting to the VP of Operations, the Junior Publicist will be responsible for planning and generating media hits and buzz to build interest for our forthcoming titles. You will be working directly with our authors to aid in the publicity process for their books. You are an organized and tenacious person who is proactive, detail-oriented, and can enthusiastically communicate what makes Dundurn Press’s award-winning catalogue of books and eBooks great.
- Maintain communications and working relationships with our front list and backlist authors
- Pitch to broadcast, print, and online media in Canada and the US as well as festival organizers
- Identify opportunities for our titles and authors with media, festivals, and events
- Develop focused media mailing lists
- Execute publicity campaigns
- Manage trade and review journal submissions
- Create and edit press releases, media alerts, and assemble press kit materials
- Cultivate relationships with media outlets
- Contribute content to the marketing department for trade shows and conferences; organize staffing and author signing schedules
- Escort and assist authors with media appearances when necessary
- Contribute and help coordinate content for Dundurn Press’s social media platforms and newsletters
- Act as a representative of the company at author events, as well as industry functions as needed
This role is right for you if you are a highly energetic and self-directed person who loves books. You are a creative team player with a proven talent for relationship building with media and reviewers alike. You should also be able to work independently and effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously. You should be able to work occasional evenings and weekends. Some travel may be required in this role. Prior experience with book publicity is considered an asset.
Compensation: Annual salary of $30,000–$35,000 (commensurate with experience), enrollment in our group benefits program (includes extended health and dental), and opportunities for professional development.
- Post-secondary education
- Publishing diploma or equivalent publishing experience
- Knowledge of Word and Excel
- Comfortable with email marketing
- An excellent understanding and appreciation for social media including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram RSS, and other web applications, an asset
- Strong project management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Familiarity with project management tools such as Asana, an asset
- Comfortable with cold calling and outreach
- Drivers License required
- A team-player with superior communication skills
- Strong writing and grammar skills
- Creative, organized, results-driven, responsible, and detail-oriented
- Positive outlook and high energy
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines.
Please submit cover letters and resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Junior Publicist” by October 17, 2020. We encourage you to include a sample of your writing and links to your online platform or portfolio (if applicable).
Dundurn Press is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates and accommodates persons with disabilities. Candidates that are selected for interviews should advise us if they require accommodation.
Please note that we will be conducting virtual meetings with eligible candidates and our staff are working remotely until further notice.