Orca Book Publishers is a successful independent Canadian children’s book publisher. With 1200 active titles in print and digital formats and about 100 new titles a year, we have a growing and successful publishing program. We are looking for a professional, motivated person to join our Editorial team. This full-time position will be based in our Victoria, BC office.
- Work with Nonfiction Editor to assist in shepherding 20-25 new titles through the production process each year.
Editorial and Production of new titles
- Working with the editor post substantive edit on all aspects of bringing the book to completion
- Working with the author, editor and designer on photo research
- Working on with the author on photo captions
- Working with the author and designer on page proofs and changes
- Tracking the author comments and consolidating proofreader changes
- Working with production editor on final pages
- Taking a book through pages to print-ready with the designer and production editor and author
- Writing marketing copy for some of the books
- Coordinating the ARC cover and transition into final cover
Photo Research and Permissions
- Photo research: working with the author, editor and designer to find the best photos for the book
- Using established system to keep track of where the photos come from, for captions and credits
- Negotiating and tracking photo permissions
- Monitoring the budget for photos
- Purchasing and downloading of hi-res images and supplying them to designer
- Ensuring accuracy of photo credits
Summary of skills:
- Keen interest in the Canadian children’s book publishing industry.
- Background and education in book publishing, including copyediting, proofreading and writing.
- Understanding of nonfiction writing or journalism.
- Keen interest in social justice, the environment, current events.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize work on many projects at once.
- Ability to work independently with excellent time management skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to collaborate with a team and contribute to a supportive environment.
- Proficiency in MS Word, Adobe Acrobat, Google docs and other general office software.
- Candidate must be highly efficient and organized; must enjoy working with people and other animals in an office environment in Victoria BC.
- Ability to research
- Ability to take initiative, exercise good judgement and make decisions
- Collaborative outlook
About Orca and other considerations
Orca Book Publishers is an inclusive employer with a passion for books that matter. We are committed to ensuring that young readers see themselves reflected in the books they read. We aim to produce books that illuminate the experiences of people of all ethnicities, people with disabilities and people who identify as LGBTQ+. Our goal is to provide reading material that represents the diversity of human experience to readers of all ages. We have a particular interest in publishing books that celebrate the lives of Indigenous people. Our fiction includes characters from diverse backgrounds and unique family structures, and our global nonfiction celebrates the variety of ways people live and educates readers about important issues. Providing young people with exposure to diversity and the opportunity for social change through reading creates a more compassionate world. We encourage applicants to learn more about us at www.orcabook.com.
In terms of our human resources philosophy, we always want the lines of communication to be open in both directions. We are not a very corporate office and prefer to have conversations in the moment about things that concern us or if we have any feedback.
We value enthusiasm and quick thinking and always hope new hires will bring new ideas to their work. But to begin with we feel that it is crucial that new staff spend their time listening and learning the details of the job, as well as the approach and culture of Orca.
While it may be difficult to consider starting a new job during a pandemic, we are a very collaborative office and feel having connection with our colleagues is key to a stimulating work atmosphere. This connection is most easily formed with some in-person meetings so even if we do not all work in our office right now, we do expect one day to be able to be together in the same room for good conversations again.
Diversity and Inclusion Statement
Orca Book Publishers is strongly committed to diversity within our community and especially welcomes applicants who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas. We strive to be an equitable and inclusive community, and proactively seek to increase diversity in all parts of our community. Our values regarding equity and diversity are linked with our unwavering commitment to publishing excellent books for young readers.
We strive to make our recruitment, assessment and selection processes as accessible as possible and provide accommodations as required for applicants with disabilities. If you require any accommodations at any point during the application and hiring process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Please send resume and cover letter by March 12, 2021 via email to email@example.com. We thank all who apply; only those candidates who are short-listed will be contacted.