ECW Press has an ongoing acquisitions internship program.
The goal of an internship is to give the individual an understanding of what is involved and important in the role of an acquisitions editor. The internship involves the following learning outcomes:
- identifying specific genres for editorial focus
- researching the markets, market leaders, and titles in the identified genres
- researching writers, writing communities, and writing opportunities
- soliciting writing samples and developing book ideas
- assessing manuscripts, writing samples, and book proposals
- developing title budgets and assessing market potential for a title
- shaping an acquisitions list for financial viability
- consulting with staff within the publishing company, and making offers
Internships last anywhere from a minimum of four weeks and up, depending on the intern, and can start any time. The internship could also include work in other aspects of the book business that could serve as the primary career path of the intern while development of acquisition skills continues. The internship will pay $2,000 per month. The location of the internship will depend on the specific intern but could both work at the ECW office and remotely.
If an intern acquires a title (or more) during the internship, ECW and the intern will come to terms on a mutually agreed relationship such that the intern can shepherd the development of the title through to its publication and marketing. Besides new books, the desired outcome of the internship is a better understanding of book acquisitions that could eventually become a career, whether sooner or later, as primary or secondary aspects of that career, or even a knowledge base that helps the intern work with acquisitions editors in the future.
We are looking for people that expand the diversity of people currently working in book publishing, including, but are not limited to, ancestry, culture, ethnicity, gender identity, gender expression, physical and intellectual ability, race, religion (creed), sex, sexual orientation, and socio-economic status.
To apply, please send a letter explaining why you would want an internship at ECW and a brief résumé to email@example.com. ECW Press is an independent Canadian-owned book publisher, developing, producing, and promoting fifty original books each year in fiction, poetry, mysteries, young adult, pop culture, sports, memoirs, pop science, social history, and more. To learn more, please visit ecwpress.com.