As a team of dedicated book-loving professionals, we discover, shape, and share content that nurtures thoughts, dreams, and conversations around the globe, ensuring that both new and established voices are heard.
We are actively seeking to add team members from communities with lived experiences of marginalization and underrepresentation. We respect and value each individual and their lived experiences and are committed to creating a more diverse team and establishing a culture of belonging. If you self-identify as Black, Indigenous, a person of colour, a member of the LGBTQIA2S+ community or another marginalized group, we strongly encourage you to apply.
We’re looking for a creative and strategic PR and Marketing Strategist to join our team.
Are you passionate about brand-building and developing creative PR and marketing strategies to reach the broadest possible audiences? Are you a strategic thinker who takes an inclusive and collaborative approach to your work? Do you have excellent communication skills and experience working in a fast-paced environment? Are you excited by the notion of using insights and trends to help shape your PR and Marketing approach? If this describes you, consider joining us on an exciting journey as we write new chapters of Penguin Random House Canada’s culture and employee experience story together.
Your contribution to the story:
At Penguin Random House Canada, we strive to connect our authors and books to as many readers as possible. Reporting to the Group Director, Publicity and Marketing, this is an exciting opportunity to work with high-profile Canadian and international books and authors at one the world’s most esteemed publishing imprints. For over thirty years, Random House Canada has published cutting-edge, award-winning non-fiction and fiction from some of the most exciting Canadian and International voices writing today, including Ian Williams, Chris Hadfield, Celina Caesar-Chavannes, Dr. Jen Gunter, Jodi Picoult, and Linden MacIntyre. This role also supports books from our U.S. publishers, including Random House, Bantam, Del, and Ballantine Books. Working closely alongside Publisher, Sue Kuruvilla, this role offers a unique and exciting opportunity to help contribute to the imprint’s vision for the future.
What you’ll do:
- Working with the publishing team and imprint sales director, develop creative PR and marketing strategies for our books and authors.
- Collaborate with the marketing strategy and operations, insights, publicity, and consumer engagement teams to develop plans with a focus on audience development, author care and author brand management, and book sales.
- Maintain and develop excellent relationships with media contacts, influencers, and partners.
- Create compelling pitches to secure media and online coverage and interviews for a wide range of emerging and established authors.
- Follow trends and use insights to surface opportunities for our books and authors regardless of format or publication date.
- Pursue creative ways to place content and promote our books in online and offline channels and via events.
- Explore potential collaborations or partnerships to get our books into the hands of readers.
- Work closely with publicists to ensure that authors have full brand management service.
- Write key title PR and marketing plans and key title presentations.
- Liaise with counterparts from our U.S. and international publishing partners, where we represent their books in Canada, develop and coordinate plans to ensure that focus titles reach the broadest possible readership here.
Experience and knowledge you’ll bring (qualifications):
- 5+ years of PR and marketing experience with a focus on direct-to-consumer outreach.
- Superior project and budget management skills with the ability to independently manage and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strategic thinker with the ability to use data and insights to create compelling results.
- A collaborative working style with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Stellar time management, organizational skills, and attention to detail, with a critical eye for quality and accuracy.
- Demonstrated success working with traditional and non-traditional Canadian media channels.
- Experience planning and executing public events, coordinating media tours, and escorting talent.
- A continuously developing network of media and influencer contacts
- Strong awareness and understanding of digital and social platforms
- An inclusive approach, supported by a cultural competency and a proven ability to collaborate with people and communities who have faced marginalization
- And of course, a deep passion for books!
We are currently working in a flexible/hybrid work model and as such candidates located within commuting distance of Toronto will be given preference. Our beautiful office is open, and employees are welcome to utilize the facilities when needed.
Interested candidates should apply online with a cover letter and their resume by July 1, 2022, through:
We appreciate the interest of all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.