Want to work with Canada’s leading scholarly publisher? Then come and join our incredible Book Publishing team!
Here’s our Current Opening:
Position: Production Coordinator
Reports To: Design and Production Manager
Location: Bay & College area
Here’s what you’ll be doing ….
You will be responsible for handling all aspects of the production management of approximately 60–70 books annually, in both print and all electronic formats, as well as reprints. Ensures all publications meet UTP’s high production standards within set budgets and schedules.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Manage 60–70 book projects a year through the publication process including:
- frequent liaising with acquiring editors, marketing and order fulfilment staff, and various third party vendors
- preparing of production costs and securing quotes from various suppliers
- evaluating manuscript artwork, ensuring that all elements meet minimum requirements
- processing manuscripts prior to typesetting
- monitoring overall manuscript and final product schedules
- performing quality control checks at the various stages for all products
- preparing and processing all ancillary materials
- Handling all production tasks related to reprints
- Executing all stages for ebook workflow
- Providing support to others in UTP design and production departments
Education, Qualifications and Experience:
- University graduate, preferably in Arts and Science
- Post-graduate publishing certificate/diploma/degree
- 2-4 years in a book publishing environment, preferably with production experience including digital publishing in scholarly or academic publishing
Knowledge, Skills and Attributes:
- Demonstrated knowledge and skill in book/ebook production project management
- Proficiency in Excel, Word, Access, Adobe Acrobat Professional, Adobe Creative Suite and Adobe Digital Editions
- Expertise in HTML/XHTML coding and experience with an XML workflow
- Attention to detail essential
- Strong interpersonal skills and a track record of positive relationship building
- Ability to organize one’s own work schedule with competing priorities, projects and deadlines
- Familiarity with new technologies and industry developments
- A great fit with our core values of respect, innovation and accountability
About our Book Publishing Team
The Book Publishing division has a staff of 47 full-time and contract employees and operates out of our new location at 800 Bay Street. The division publishes 180 books annually including scholarly monographs primarily aimed at university libraries and faculty, course books intended for student use, and trade titles aimed at the informed general reader. Our authors come from around the world although a higher percentage are Canadians and our books reach a global market.
About University of Toronto Press
University of Toronto Press (“UTP”) is a not-for-profit company, affiliated with the University of Toronto. With approximately 250 employees and revenues of $50 million, the Company is in a unique situation within the scholarly publishing community. UTP is the only university press that operates independently from its parent institution with its book publishing division supported by the successful operation of complementary business functions.
Mission: To publish exemplary works of scholarship and to disseminate knowledge widely for the benefit of society.
Vision: To be a premier publisher of scholarly work in North America, serving the Canadian and international academic communities with leading authors and customer-focused employees.
Values: Three primary core values will govern our actions and decisions in ensuring the effectiveness of our mission: Respect, Innovation, and Accountability. These are the guiding principles by which we operate our organization and treat our co-workers, customers, clients and the community.
Interested in applying?
Please send your resume with a covering letter by May 28, 2018, to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please indicate, Production Coordinator, in the subject line and your salary expectations in the covering letter.
We truly thank all applicants for their interest in joining the Press, only those candidates considered for an initial interview will be contacted.
The University of Toronto Press encourages applications from all qualified candidates. If you need accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information on our accommodation policies, please contact Human Resources at the email above or 416.978-2239 ext. 2255.