James Lorimer & Company has an immediate opening for a full-time production editor. We are a Toronto-based independent publisher of children’s fiction and nonfiction aimed at reluctant readers and adult nonfiction on Canadian history, politics, local interest, and current issues. Our production editor works closely with our acquisition editors and our design team, and an art director who takes responsibility for print buying and printer liaison.
The position involves:
- Creating and maintaining schedules for 25+ books per year
- Overseeing and guiding books through the entire publishing process, from copy editing of accepted manuscripts to printed book
- Hiring and negotiating with freelance editors as well as giving direction and troubleshooting any issues that may arise
- Liaison with authors, editors, freelancers, designers, and the publisher
- Reviewing copyedits and proofreads and solving any editorial conflicts
- Creation of seasonal catalogues as well as shepherding marketing projects through the design and print process
- Overseeing reprints
- Ordering and assessing images and managing illustrated projects, including clearing photo permissions
- Record keeping and project tracking using online software and databases
- Contributing to creating and updating metadata records
The key qualifications for this position are:
- Strong project management skills and the ability to multitask
- Excellent communication skills
- Familiarity with InDesign and Photoshop
- Strong copyediting and proofreading skills and experience
- An undergraduate or graduate degree in the humanities or social sciences
- A book publishing certificate and a minimum of 2 years experience in an editorial administration and/or production role
- Understanding of metadata and Onix
- Ability to troubleshoot and to foresee and resolve problems
- Strong time management skills and attention to detail
Our production editor works closely with in-office staff in Toronto, and with the design, marketing and distribution team located in Halifax. We are located at Peter and Richmond Street in downtown Toronto. Our office hours are 9-5 Monday-Friday, with a 7.5 hour work day. This is an in-office position, and we have strong Covid-19 protocols in place plus well-spaced individual workplaces. We have a comprehensive company benefits plan.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please reply with a resume and a letter outlining your relevant experience and skills. We will contact candidates for a first-round interview by videoconference. Responses should go to email@example.com.