Between the Lines is a social movement press founded in 1977. We publish books that expose and challenge oppression in our society. We aim to amplify the struggles of Black, Indigenous, and racialized communities; migrants; women; Queer folks; and working-class people. BTL is proudly left-wing and the books we publish reflect our activist roots and our commitment to social justice struggles.
As a product of New Left radicalism, BTL embodies the cooperative and democratic ideals of its founders. BTL has no boss, no individual owner; we are run by four core staff members and a dedicated volunteer editorial committee. Decisions on what we publish are made by consensus. We publish books not to seek profit, but to archive and promote struggles for a better world, challenge the mainstream, and offer readers new perspectives on critical political issues.
About the role
Between the Lines is seeking a full-time Publicity and Promotions Manager to promote our books to the media and the public and contribute to the general administration of the press. This position is four days per week.
Our press is situated in Tkaronto (Toronto), traditional Wendat, Anishinaabe and Haudenosaunee territory subject to the Dish with One Spoon treaty. Normally we work out of an open-plan office space at 401 Richmond, a restored heritage building turned arts-and-culture hub at the intersection of Richmond and Spadina. Right now we’re working remotely due to COVID-19, with occasional distanced visits to the office.
The gross annual salary for this position is $43,252.32 at four days/28 hours per week, and this rate increases for cost of living annually each January. After completing a probationary period, compensation will also include a health and dental benefits plan and four weeks’ paid vacation per calendar year.
- Passionate about progressive politics;
- Excited about the opportunity to work with activist authors and readers;
- Experienced in working collaboratively;
- Self-motivated and successful at managing your own labour in a workplace without bosses.
- Develop and plan title-specific publicity and promotion activities;
- Maintain media lists, organize media outreach, solicit book reviews, and distribute promotional and review copies of forthcoming titles;
- Create physical and digital press kits and publicity materials;
- Track and manage book prize submissions;
- Plan and host author events, including launches, panels, and readings;
- Liaise with authors on promotional activities;
- Coordinate BTL’s participation in conferences, trade shows, festivals, and industry events;
- Plan coordinated social media and Mailchimp campaigns and run daily upkeep of Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram;
- Run BTL’s author blog;
- Collaborate with and support the Sales and Marketing Manager;
- Participate in weekly staff meetings, as well as editorial committee meetings approximately six times per year;
- Contribute equally to the general administration and running of the press.
- Ingenuity, initiative, and enthusiasm;
- Excellent organization and planning skills;
- The ability to juggle competing tasks and demanding deadlines;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills;
- A post-secondary degree or relevant work experience;
- Proven experience planning and executing coordinated social media and newsletter campaigns;
- Event planning experience, both virtual and in-person;
- Proven experience acting as a representative of a company to media, the public, and external clients;
- Working knowledge of HTML and Adobe Creative Suite.
Nice to have
- Business administration skills;
- Grant-writing experience;
- Graphic design experience;
- Fluency in French.
How to apply
Please send a cover letter and resume as a single document in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm on Sunday, November 15, 2020. Please include “Publicity and Promotions Manager” in the subject line. Interviews will be conducted over Zoom.
BTL is an equal opportunity employer committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We strongly encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply, and particularly welcome applications from individuals from underrepresented, marginalized, and oppressed groups.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but regret that we are unable to acknowledge receipt of applications. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.