We are looking for two Publisher’s Representatives to promote our books to professors for use in university and college courses. One position will be based in our Guelph, Ontario, office, and the other in our Calgary, Alberta, office.
Broadview Press is an independent publisher in the humanities; we specialize in English literature, composition, and philosophy textbooks for undergraduates. The word “broadview” expresses a good deal of the philosophy behind our company. Our publishing program is internationally-oriented, and we publish for a broad range of geographical markets—but as a Canadian company we also publish a range of titles with a Canadian emphasis. As a company, we strive to produce high-quality, pedagogically useful books, and to uphold fair business practices in relation to our authors, our staff, the professors who adopt our books, and the students who purchase and read our books.
Summary of the Positions
- Full time (37.5 hours per week) positions starting in late July 2019, with travel to begin in September.
- Involves in-person promotion of Broadview titles to schools in Canada and across several American states
- Salary range: starting at $40,000-42,000 a year depending on qualifications and experience, plus benefits and profit sharing.
- Travel responsibilities totaling 70-80 days per academic year, depending on territory size and conference attendance. All travel expenses will be paid for by the company.
- The successful candidates will act as the Broadview Representative for a territory of universities and colleges within Canada and the United States. You will maintain existing adoptions and increase revenue across your sales territory by
- Contacting academics at your colleges and universities through in-person visits and by email. (You’ll visit campuses regularly during the academic year, meeting with 15-25 professors, sessional instructors, and program coordinators per day.)
- Promoting Broadview’s extensive catalogue, with a focus on new and recently published titles, by identifying potential adopters of our titles and matching relevant texts to upcoming courses
- Developing and maintaining relationships with academics and bookstores, to uphold Broadview’s reputation for excellent customer service
- Assist colleagues as needed through
- additional sales efforts
- market research
- passing on acquisitions leads from your sales territory
- attending conferences and select school book fairs as needed
The Ideal Candidate
- Has a Bachelor’s Degree (required) or Master’s Degree (asset) in English or Philosophy
- Has a valid driver’s license and passport (required)
- Has a good understanding of the culture and operations of the post-secondary environment
- Is interested in learning about new teaching strategies and new developments within our disciplines
- Enjoys meeting new people
- Enjoys and feels comfortable with talking about books across academic disciplines
- Is interested in the state of higher education, and the directions textbooks and new technologies are taking
- Has strong written communication skills
- Is able to pick up new information quickly
- Is comfortable with significant amounts of travel
- Is enthusiastic about sales work, is self-motivated, and thrives on new challenges
- Has experience working both independently and collaboratively
- Has previous experience in sales or marketing (asset)
- Has previous experience in publishing (asset)
To apply please send your resume and cover letter to Christine Handley, Sales Manager, at email@example.com. Please indicate whether you are applying for the Ontario or the Alberta position in your materials. Applications will be accepted through June 3, 2019, with interviews to take place between June 14 and 26. No phone calls or in-person visits, please.