Second Story Press was founded in 1988 and is dedicated to publishing feminist-inspired books for adults and young readers. We are proud that for over 30 years we have been publishing great books that matter. Our books are sold around the world, have been translated into over 50 languages, won many awards, and have been adapted for film and stage. Our list spans adult fiction and nonfiction; children’s fiction, nonfiction and picture books; and young adult fiction and nonfiction.
We are looking for a highly organized, enthusiastic book lover to join our sales and marketing team in downtown Toronto. Reporting to the Publisher, the Sales Manager works closely with customers, vendors, and our in-house team to implement sales strategies that promote growth across all sales channels in Canada and the US.
Duties and responsibilities will include:
- Curate and sell lists of upcoming and backlist books; manage and expand existing accounts to maximize sales. Contact key accounts regularly.
- Seek out prospective clients.
- Work with the marketing team to complete full title metadata and create digital sales catalogues.
- Provide exceptional customer service to our commissioned sales reps and also build relationships with retailers, libraries, and wholesalers, ensuring they receive all required information, sales materials, and marketing assets at the right time.
- Work with accounts and online retailer platforms on sales promo and advertising opportunities.
- Proactively provide client feedback and new book ideas during regular editorial meetings and provide feedback on manuscripts, covers, and positioning with an eye to trends in the Canadian and US book market.
- Provide sales analysis on a monthly, quarterly, annual, and as-needed basis.
- Represent the press at online events (webinars, online conferences) and in-person events.
If getting up in front of a crowd or cold-calling pitches for books you love drives you, and you love crunching numbers, we are very interested in hearing from you.
- A minimum of four years of sales and/or marketing experience.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Familiarity with sales reporting tools and an aptitude and enthusiasm for sales analytics.
- Familiarity with Catalist, BookManager, Edelweiss, CoreSource, and BooksOnix.
- Excellent communication skills and a customer service-oriented approach to relationship management.
- Having completed a post-secondary certificate or courses in publishing or a related field would be an asset.
-After usual business hours and the possibility of travel required.
Please submit a PDF of your cover letter and resume to email@example.com no later than May 23, 2022.
We are currently on a hybrid work from home and office schedule, but all applicants should be prepared for a full-time return to the office and should be fully-vaccinated against Covid. Salary will be commensurate with experience, but will likely fall in the range of $50,000 to $60,000, plus benefits.
Second Story Press recognizes and embraces the value that diversity brings to our publishing program, from the books and authors we publish to our staff and collaborators. Candidates from diverse backgrounds and marginalized communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
We thank all those who apply, but only those selected for a video-call interview will be contacted.