House of Anansi Press / Groundwood Books is looking for a Technology Intern to join our Cross-Media Department for a twelve-month internship with particular focus on accessible digital books.
This is a full-time, in-house paid position, April 2021–March 2022.
The Cross-Media Department is responsible for ensuring that all books are reliably delivered on time, on budget, in multiple formats, and to the specifications requested. The department encompasses a mix of print production functions (e.g., printer relationships) with digital production and data management, managing workflow processes by in-house and freelance typesetters and designers, and maintaining updated digital and print archives.
Responsibilities of this Position
Our goal is for the intern not only to come to the end of the position here with substantially increased skills that will benefit that person in a future position at our company or elsewhere in the industry, but also for the intern to contribute materially to the quality and reach of our publishing program in the area of accessibility.
Areas of Work
- writing image descriptions at reading level for our children’s picture books
- writing image descriptions for the sample spreads for the supply chain including our website
- working with editorial to deploy image descriptions that respect the context in which they are used (i.e., descriptions in a marketing context are different than in a reading context)
- liaising with editorial to get those descriptions vetted and approved
- born accessible ebook preparation, creation and quality assurance
- review / remediation of certain of our existing ebooks and audiobooks with regard to accessibility questions
- help incorporate image descriptions and metadata on our website and in our bibliographic data system
- supporting the development of a plan to test for accessibility, including working with people with the lived experience of a print disability to gauge user needs
Interest and experience
Book publishing experience is not required but an appreciation for accessibility requirements and an interest in the technological aspects of accessible digital books is an asset.
The ideal candidate will have a basic understanding of ebooks and how they work, and will be comfortable working in a Mac environment. A good working knowledge of HTML and CSS, web content accessibility guidelines (WCAG), and the Creative Cloud would be helpful.
Hours, Pay and Location
This is a one-year full-time salaried position of 35 hours per week.
Remote work is possible, or in-person work, or a combination of the two: we are flexible depending on the circumstances of the intern and also depending on prevailing public health requirements. We will observe all public health requirements related to Covid-19 and have health and safety protocols in operation in the office in case of in-person work.
House of Anansi Press embraces diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive workplace. People who identify as being from diverse communities, including Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people identifying as LGBTQ2, and people facing economic barriers are especially encouraged to apply.
Interested applicants should upload a resume and cover letter via this link: https://bit.ly/31xEdpJ. The application deadline is 12 April 2021.