Make no mistake, literary award season has arrived. Along with yesterday’s Scotiabank Giller Prize and Man Booker Prize announcements, the finalists for the 2011 Toronto Book Awards were also released. The awards honour authors of books of literary or artistic merit that are evocative of Toronto.
This year’s shortlisted authors are:
- James FitzGerald, What Disturbs Our Blood (Random House Canada)
- James King, Ã‰tienne’s Alphabet (Cormorant Books)
- Rabindranath Maharaj, The Amazing Absorbing Boy (Knopf Canada)
- Nicholas Ruddock, The Parabolist (Doubleday Canada)
- Alissa York, Fauna (Random House Canada)
The total value of the annual prize is $15,000. Each finalist will receive $1,000, while the winner, who will be announced on Oct. 13, will receive the remaining $11,000.