The Writers’ Federation of Nova Scotia has announced the shortlists for its annual literary awards.
Starting this year, the WFNS will present its three prizes at a separate event from the Atlantic Book Awards. The ceremony will take place in Halifax on Oct. 12.
Thomas Head Raddall Atlantic Fiction Prize ($20,000)
- Valerie Compton, Tide Road (Goose Lane Editions)
- Heather Jessup, The Lightning Field (Gaspereau Press)
- David Adams Richards, Incidents in the Life of Markus Paul (Doubleday Canada)
Atlantic Poetry Prize ($2,000)
- Sue Goyette, outskirts (Brick Books)
- Warren Heiti, Hydrologos (Pedlar Press)
- Anne Simpson, Is (McClelland & Stewart)
Evelyn Richardson Memorial Non-Fiction Award ($2,000)
- Chris Benjamin, Eco-Innovators: Sustainability in Atlantic Canada (Nimbus Publishing)
- Ray MacLeod, Hope for Wildlife: True Stories of Animal Rescue (Nimbus)
- Harry Thurston, The Atlantic Coast: A Natural History (Greystone Books)