The longlist for the £50,000 Man Booker Prize for Fiction was announced this morning.
Five judges, including Peter Stothard, editor of the Times Literary Supplement, selected 12 titles from 145 submitted for the U.K. prize, which honours the best novel of the year written by a citizen of the Commonwealth or the Republic of Ireland. This year’s nominees hail from Britain, India, South Africa, and Malaysia.
The nominees are:
- Nicola Barker, The Yips
- Ned Beauman, The Teleportation Accident
- André Brink, Philida
- Tan Twan Eng, The Garden of Evening Mists
- Michael Frayn, Skios
- Rachel Joyce, The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry
- Deborah Levy, Swimming Home
- Hilary Mantel, Bring up the Bodies
- Alison Moore, The Lighthouse
- Will Self, Umbrella
- Jeet Thayil, Narcopolis
- Sam Thompson, Communion Town
A shortlist of six titles will be announced Sept. 11 and the winner on Oct. 16.