A mix of comic book stalwarts, past winners, and first-time nominees have made their way onto the shortlist for the 2013 Doug Wright Awards for Canadian Cartooning.
Celebrating the best in English-language comics, the annual awards highlight a wide range of cartoonists and comic artists working across Canada.
While last year’s shortlist was dominated by Montreal’s Drawn & Quarterly, Toronto-based publisher Koyama Press has taken over this year, securing three out of five nominations for the Best Book award.
The awards will be presented on May 11 at the Marriott Bloor Yorkville Hotel as part of the Toronto Comic Arts Festival.
Doug Wright Award for Best Book:
- Lose #4, Michael DeForge (Koyama Press)
- By This Shall You Know Him, Jesse Jacobs (Koyama)
- The Song of Roland, Michel Rabagliati (Conundrum Press)
- Pope Hats #3, Ethan Rilly (AdHouse Books)
- Wax Cross, Tin Can Forest (Koyama)
Doug Wright Spotlight Award (recognizing talent deserving of wider recognition):
- Nina Bunjevac, Heartless (Conundrum)
- Brandon Graham, King City (Image Comics)
- Patrick Kyle, Black Mass, Distance Mover (at patrickkyle.com) and Wowee Zonk #4 (Koyama Press)
- George Walker, The Mysterious Death of Tom Thomson (The Porcupine’s Quill)
- Eric Kostiuk Williams, Hungry Bottom Comics at ericdraws.4ormat.com
Pigskin Peters Award (recognizing the best in avant-garde or experimental comics):
- Hamilton Illustrated, David Collier (Wolsak & Wynn)
- Hellberta #2 (Colour Code Printing) and Sir Softly (from Å¡! #12), Michael Comeau
- 4PANEL (a special comics feature in Carousel Magazine #28 and #29), Mark Laliberte, ed.
- So, what should we do with ourselves?¦ (from Wowee Zonk #4) and “Little Stump” (from Å¡! #12)