The shortlist for the 17th* annual Rogers Writers’ Trust Fiction Prize was announced this morning at Ben McNally Books in Toronto. Three of the five shortlisted authors, including Giller nominees Lynn Coady and Lisa Moore, were published by House of Anansi Press.
The finalists are:
- Krista Bridge, The Eliot Girls (Douglas & McIntyre)
- Lynn Coady, Hellgoing (House of Anansi Press)
- Cary Fagan, A Bird’s Eye (Anansi)
- Colin McAdam, A Beautiful Truth (Hamish Hamilton Canada)
- Lisa Moore, Caught (Anansi)
A jury comprising Caroline Adderson, Alison Pick, and Miguel Syjuco made its selections out of 115 books from 50 publishers. The winner will be awarded $25,000, with each shortlisted author receiving $2,500.
Finalists for the $10,000 Writer’s Trust of Canada/McClelland & Stewart Journey Prize were also announced today:
- Doretta Lau, “How Does a Single Blade of Grass Thank the Sun?” originally published in Event
- Eliza Robertson,”My Sister Sang” originally published in Grain Magazine
- Naben Ruthnum, “Cinema Rex” originally published in The Malahat Review
Both winners will be announced at the Writers’ Trust Awards on Nov. 20 at Toronto’s Glenn Gould Studio.
*Correction, Sept. 30: An earlier version of this story stated that the awards are in their 13th year.