This year, the bpNichol Chapbook Award will double its purse from $2,000 to $4,000, thanks to the contribution of an anonymous donor, with publishers to receive $500 (donated by Brian Dedora and Jim Smith). The annual prize for poetry chapbooks is administered by Meet the Presses, a volunteer collective of Canadian writers that organizes public events to showcase the wares of independent publishers.
The shortlisted chapbooks are:
- Government, Jason Christie (above/ground)
- Life Savings, Mat Laporte (Odourless)
- pleasantries and other misdemeanours, Christine McNair (Apt. 9)
- a fist made and then unmade, matt robinson (Gaspereau Press)
- Oilywood, Christine Leclerc (Nomados)
- X, Phil Hall (Thee Hellbox)
The winner will be announced Nov. 22 at the Indie Literary Market at the Tranzac Club in Toronto. This year’s judges are Kevin McPherson Eckhoff and Sandra Ridley.