Five books are contending to become this year’s First Nation Communities Read community reading selection.
The winner will receive the $5,000 Periodical Marketers of Canada Aboriginal Literature Award, which aims to “increase awareness of the relevance and importance of First Nation, Métis, and Inuit writing, illustration, and publishing.”
The shortlisted titles are:
- Up Ghost River, Edmund Metatawabin and Alexandra Shimo (Penguin Random House)
- Dreaming in Indian: Contemporary Native American Voices, Lisa Charleyboy and Mary Leatherdale, eds. (Annick Press)
- Rose’s Run, Dawn Dumont (Thistledown Press)
- Peace Pipe Dreams, Darrell Dennis (Douglas & McIntyre)
- All the Way: My Life on Ice, Jordin Tootoo (Penguin Random House)