The Writers’ Alliance of Newfoundland and Labrador have revealed the shortlists for the 20th annual Newfoundland and Labrador Book Awards, honouring excellence by the province’s authors in the categories of fiction and children’s literature.
The two winners, who will each receive a $1,500 prize, will be announced at a ceremony at Government House in St. John’s on June 6.
- Joan Clark, The Birthday Lunch (Knopf Canada)
- Michael Crummey, Sweetland (Doubleday Canada)
- Sara Tilley, Duke (Pedlar Press)
- Charis Cotter, The Swallow: A Ghost Story (Tundra Books)
- Susan M. MacDonald, Time for Treason (Breakwater Books)
- Janet McNaughton, Flame and Ashes: The Great Fire Diary of Triffle Winsor (Scholastic Canada)