The Ontario Arts Council has announced the shortlist for this year’s Ruth and Sylvia Schwartz Children’s Book Awards.
The awards, which are chosen by student jurors, are celebrating its 40th anniversary this year. This year’s jury was comprised of students from Scarborough Village Alternate Public School. One finalist from each category will receive a $6,000 cash prize. Winners will be announced during a school assembly on June 22.
This year’s shortlist includes:
Children’s Picture Book Award
- A Boy Asked the Wind by Barbara Nickel; Gillian Newland, illus. (Red Deer Press)
- Melvis and Elvis by Dennis Lee; Jeremy Tankard, illus. (HarperCollins)
- Mr. Postmouse’s Rounds by Marianne Dubuc (Kids Can Press)
- Some Things I’ve Lost by Cybèle Young (Groundwood Books)
- Today is the Day by Eric Walters; Eugenie Fernandes, illus. (Tundra Books)
Young Adult/Middle Reader Award