The winners of this year’s Vine Awards for Canadian Jewish Literature were announced at a luncheon in Toronto on Sept. 29. The prize awards $10,000 to Jewish-Canadian authors in the categories of fiction, non-fiction, history, poetry‚ and YA/children’s literature. The following recipients were selected from shortlists culled from 91 submissions of books published in 2014 and 2015.
- David Bezmozgis‚ The Betrayers (HarperCollins)
- Mark Celinscak, Distance from the Belsen Heap: Allied Forces and the Liberation of a Nazi Concentration Camp (University of Toronto Press)
- Beverley Chalmers, Birth, Sex and Abuse: Women’s Voices under Nazi Rule (Grosvenor House Publishing)
- Daniel Goodwin, Catullus’s Soldiers (Cormorant Books)
- Emil Sher‚ Young Man With Camera (Scholastic Canada)