Ontario’s First Nation public librarians have announced the shortlist for the annual First Nation Communities Read contest.
- Bear Walker: Adventures of Rabbit and Bear Paws, Chad Solomon and Christopher Meyer (Little Spirit Bear Productions)
- Call of the Fiddle, Wilfred Burton and Anne Patton; Sherry Farrell Racette, illus. (Gabriel Dumont Institute)
- The Giving Tree: A Retelling of a Traditional Métis Story, Leah Dorion (Gabriel Dumont Institute)
- Shannen and the Dream for a School, Janet Wilson (Second Story Press)
- We Are All ¦ Treaty People, Maurice Switzer; Charley Hebert, illus. (Union of Ontario Indians)
The community reading program, which alternates yearly between books for adults and books for children, was established in 2003 to encourage family literacy and storytelling between generations, while promoting the publishing, sharing, and discussion of aboriginal artists and their experiences.
A six-member jury of librarians from First Nation public libraries will select the winning title for 2012“2013, which will be revealed in late May to coincide with the launch of National Aboriginal History Month celebrations in June.