Simon & Schuster Canada is looking for a full-time Assistant Editor to join our editorial department and assist on all work relating to editing and book publishing, author/agent relations, and administration. The candidate should have an interest in fiction and nonfiction, be passionate about authors, and eager to help bring their books to readers. This position supports the Canadian publishing program in both creative and administrative capacities. It also offers the candidate the opportunity to develop their publishing knowledge and editorial skill set by working in tandem with the editorial team on manuscript development through all steps of the process, from acquisition, to editing, to production, and publication/post-publication, with the potential to take on more responsibility in the future. The role is based in Toronto and will require a minimum of 3 days in the office, on a hybrid basis.
- Offer key reads on manuscripts and research authors and ideas
- Organize material for sales conferences and presentations
- Research sales numbers and pull reports from BookNet and Bookscan
- Submit books to key literary awards
- Write and proof copy for catalogues, tipsheets, covers, reading group guides, and other materials
- Support a variety of editors on front- and backlist titles, including providing notes, obtaining permissions, collating art logs, prepping manuscripts for production, coordinating with authors on copyedits and passes, and reviewing passes of manuscript pages
- Assist in substantive and line editing alongside other in-house editors
- Project manage select books
- Two years of experience in the book industry with proven substantive editorial abilities preferred
- Knowledge of industry and industry professionals
- Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat proficiency
- Strong copywriting, copyediting, and proofing skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to multitask, time manage, problem solve, and work under pressure to meet deadlines
- Strong attention to detail and follow-through
- Passion for books
To apply, please direct your cover letter/CV (in one file) to Editorial Director, Sarah St. Pierre, and send to Hunter Sleeth at [email protected]. Deadline to apply is October 16.
Simon & Schuster Canada is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, creed, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression. Successful applicants who are shortlisted and who may need any adjustments at the interview, please let us know.
Simon & Schuster Canada is a division of Simon & Schuster, a part of Paramount Inc., and publishes a wide range of bestselling fiction and nonfiction books for all readers. Our bestselling authors include Samantha Bailey, Genevieve Graham, Rupi Kaur, Beverley McLachlin, Peter Mansbridge, Kate Morton, Liz Nugent, Neil Pasricha, Tegan & Sara Quin, Kathy Reichs, Iain Reid, Jesse Thistle, Ruth Ware, and many more.
Simon & Schuster, a Paramount Company, is a global leader in general interest publishing, dedicated to providing the best in fiction and nonfiction for readers of all ages, and in all printed, digital, and audio formats. Its distinguished roster of authors includes many of the world’s most popular and widely recognized writers, and winners of the most prestigious literary honors and awards. It is home to numerous well-known imprints and divisions such as Simon & Schuster, Scribner, Atria Books, Gallery Books, Adams Media, Avid Reader Press, Simon & Schuster Children’s Publishing and Simon & Schuster Audio and international companies in Australia, Canada, India, and the United Kingdom, and proudly brings the works of its authors to readers in more than 200 countries and territories. For more information visit our website at simonandschuster.ca.