Organization Description: JUMP Math is a Canadian charity with global reach that empowers teachers and educators to multiply the potential in every classroom through research-informed, curriculum-aligned resources and approaches that ignite and nurture an enduring understanding and love of math in every student. For more information: www.jumpmath.org
Position Summary: Reporting to the Manager, Resource Development and Production, the Editor stewards math publishing resources through the production process, efficiently, on time, and consistently conforming to high editorial standards. The Editor coordinates the production process for all resources, working with in-house writers and layout coordinators and with freelance copy editors and layout coordinators to prepare files for publication. The role is also responsible for maintaining the editorial quality and consistency of all publications.
This is a full-time contract with benefits for one year.
Location of Work: Candidates must be located in the Greater Toronto area. The position is intended to be mainly remote but you may be required to attend in person meetings at the JUMP Math office.
Target Salary Range: $45,000-$50,000
Qualified candidates may apply on or before October 11 to firstname.lastname@example.org with a cover letter and resume. Please include position title in subject line of email. Please use the cover letter to explain in one page how your qualifications match our requirements and why this job is right for you at this point in your career.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Qualified candidates will be interviewed as applications are received until a suitable candidate is hired. Only those considered for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
JUMP Math is committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons/persons of colour, women, Indigenous/Aboriginal people of North America, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ persons, and others who may contribute to further diversification of ideas. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply. If you require accessibility accommodation, please indicate in your application. Application is only open to those legally eligible to work in Canada.
- Contribute to JUMP Math’s style guides and respond to queries about house style
- Coordinate workflow with freelance copy-editors and layout coordinators, setting deadlines, managing files, and ensuring quality of work
- Copy-edit manuscript (time permitting)
- Prepare final manuscript for layout/design coordinators, ensuring quality of manuscript for handover
- Liaise between writers and layout coordinators as manuscript goes through layout
- Proof passes for fidelity to previous passes with corrections, house style, and final manuscript
- Prepare files to be printed or posted to JUMP Math website
- Check printer-proofs
- Maintain reprint correction log
- Coordinate regular production meeting as required
- Maintain production schedule as required
- Keen eye for detail
- Team player
- Diplomatic and patient
- Ability to focus on a task for long periods
- Proactive problem-solver
- Strong memory
- Calm under pressure
- Excellent editorial skills
- Excellent communication – especially written
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational/multi-tasking ability
- Proficiency with Word, Excel, and Acrobat, understanding of InDesign – familiarity with Mac O/S a bonus
- Knowledge and use of standard editing/proofreading mark-up
- Consistently meets deadlines
Education and Experience (minimums):
- A minimum 3 years of Editorial work experience, including copy-editing and proofreading (preferably in the education sector, ideally in math)
- Diploma of college studies with vocational training (three-year program)
- Publishing degree/diploma or Editing training preferred
- French is an asset
- Production coordination experience