Come join our incredible Journals team!
Here’s our current opening:
Position: Marketing Coordinator, 1-year contract
Reports To: Sales and Marketing Manager
Here’s what you’ll be doing….
You’ll be responsible for planning and executing marketing strategies helping readers and authors discover UTP Journals, including coordinating and planning conference exhibits, conducting research, and coordinating marketing plans and reports.
*The position will commence with working remotely from home, until normal office operations can resume safely.
• Plan, coordinate and promote in person and/or virtual conference exhibits by:
o Researching conference and event opportunities
o Contracting exhibit space, hotel rooms, ordering furniture and services and shipping
o Managing the journals presence at academic and library conferences throughout the year
o Coordinating conference displays, program ads, and all collateral material for conferences (such as give-away items, posters, flyers, postcards, etc.)
o Promoting conferences via social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram)
• Coordinate UTP journals’ listings in Abstracting and Indexing databases by:
o identifying appropriate databases
o submitting applications
o supporting journals through the application process and ensuring compliance with all database requirements
• Plan and coordinate content recruitment initiatives, including blog posts, calls for papers and sponsorships
• Coordinate scholarly awards and outreach activities, including best article awards, and their promotion on social media and through email campaigns
• Assist with major marketing campaigns and events as part of the marketing team, including creating content for social media channels as needed
• Implement direct e-mail, newsletter, and listserv campaigns – writing and designing messages, deploying messages, analyzing results, and creating reports
• Coordinate marketing reports, including updating marketing plans and information in marketing database, extracting necessary activity information and creating initial draft of reports
Here’s what we are looking for:
Education, Qualifications, and Experience:
• University graduate
• Publishing certificate or equivalent
• Minimum 2 years’ experience in related business environment; experience in periodical or scholarly environment an asset
Knowledge, Skills, and Attributes:
• Results and action oriented, creative and innovative big picture thinker
• Customer/client focused with ability to represent UTP; must have a positive and professional approach and be able to present concepts to clients with confidence
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, attention to detail, and time management skills
• Collaborative; flexible in changing situations; thrive in a fast-paced environment; manage multiple projects with ease
• Ability to work independently and demonstrate initiative
• Ability to consistently meet deadlines
• Keep informed in trends in industry
• Proficient with Outlook, Microsoft Office, and database software
• Some business travel required
• Research skills and social media savvy
• Values matter to you. You bring your whole self to work and you live our values of accountability, innovation, respect, and customer focus
About our Journals team
The Journals Division has been an important part of the Press since its foundation and has built a strong reputation for excellence in scholarship and innovation in publishing. We work hand-in-hand with world-class authors, editors and scholarly societies to publish 40+ journals in a variety of disciplines, including the humanities, social sciences, and medicine. We are passionate about high-quality content, digital distribution, and the success of scholarly journals and are making major strides forward in areas such as online peer review systems and multimedia publishing, such as videos and podcasts.
About University of Toronto Press
Our organization is steeped in a rich history (UTP was founded in 1901) and today is Canada's leading scholarly publisher and one of North America’s premier academic presses. We have published over 6,500 books and each year we publish approximately 200 new scholarly, course, and general interest books in both print and ebook and more than 40 Journals. Our authors praise us for our commitment to quality and innovation and for our ability to successfully market books both in North America and around the world. We are honoured and proud that many of our books have received a number of awards.
Through the operation of several complementary divisions, it is our mission to publish exemplary works of scholarship, and to disseminate knowledge widely for the benefit of society. In addition to publishing books, we own and publish numerous high profile scholarly journals, distribute books to a broad range of other publishers through our warehouses in Toronto and Buffalo and operate highly regarded and successful campus stores for the University of Toronto.
We operate with mutual trust, respect, and integrity. We communicate in an open, honest, sensitive, and intelligent manner. We acknowledge the diversity, dignity, and worth of all individuals and respect their competencies and contributions. We seek continuous improvement, and foster an environment that encourages creativity and inspires people to make a difference. We are committed to making UTP a great place to work and grow!
Interested in applying?
Please visit our website to apply online https://utorontopress.com
We truly thank all applicants for their interest in joining the Press, only those candidates considered for an initial interview will be contacted.
The University of Toronto Press encourages applications from all qualified candidates. If you need accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information on our accommodation policies, please contact Human Resources at 416.978-2239 ext. 2255.