Come join our incredible Publishing team!
Here’s our current opening:
Position: Production Coordinator
Reports to: Design and Production Manager
Location: 800 Bay Street*
Here’s what you’ll be doing….
Responsible for handling all aspects of the production management of approximately 50-60 books annually as well as reprints. You will ensure all publications meet UTP’s high quality standards within set budgets and schedules.
* For this position, we currently have the option of working remotely or in a hybrid model. However, this position may initially require some in-office time mixed with work from home during the onboarding phase.
• Manage 50-60 book projects a year through the publication process including:
o frequent liaising with acquiring editors, marketing, order fulfilment, designers, typesetters, offset printers, and short run digital printers
o prepare production costs and secure quotes from various suppliers
o commission compositors to evaluate manuscript artwork, ensuring that all elements meet minimum requirements
o monitor overall manuscript and final product schedules
o circulate copy and cover/jacket artworks
o prepare purchase orders for printers and submit files to manufacturers for both offset and digital printing
o perform quality control checks at the various stages of production
o prepare and process all ancillary materials in both print and all electronic formats
o process invoices from vendors
o attend regular production schedule meetings
• Handle all production tasks related to reprints
• Copy editing and proofreading of cover and jacket copy, and other text as required
• Secure special production services such as cartography
• Provide support to others in UTP design and production departments
Here’s what we are looking for:
Education, Qualifications, and Experience:
• Post-secondary graduate, or combination of education/experience preferably in Arts and Science that stresses close attention to text and bibliographic styles
• Publishing certificate with courses in production and copy editing
• 2-3 years in a book publishing environment with production experience including digital publishing
Knowledge, Skills, and Attributes:
• Demonstrated knowledge and skills in book and ebook production project management
• Proficiency in Windows, MS 365 specifically Excel, Word, Access or other database system, Adobe Acrobat Professional; experience with an XML workflow, and ability to adapt to new databases
• Expertise in HTML/XHTML coding as well as direct experience with Adobe Creative Suite (specifically InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator) and Adobe Digital Editions
• Excellent interpersonal skills and a track record of positive relationship building
• Excellent attention to details; able to organize work schedule with competing priorities and projects
• Expert knowledge of editing and proofreading in a book publishing environment
• Demonstrated working knowledge of Chicago Manual of Style and other style guides
• Knowledge of design, typography, and formatting
• Tact, judgment, and critical thinking, coolness under pressure, ability to problem solve
• Communicate clearly, effectively, and diplomatically
• Commitment to continuous learning
• Values matter to you. You bring your whole self to work and you live our values of accountability, innovation, respect, and customer focus
About our Publishing team
The Publishing Division has a staff of over 50 full-time and contract employees and operates out of 800 Bay Street, Toronto. With the publication of influential authors and award-winning research, as well as a continuing dedication to groundbreaking new scholarship and innovative texts, UTP has firmly established its reputation for excellence. Books and journals published by UTP are written for intellectually curious readers, academics, researchers, students, and practitioners. Our authors come from around the world and we serve a global market.
About University of Toronto Press
University of Toronto Press (UTP) is one of the largest university presses in North America, publishing landmark scholarship since 1901. Each year UTP releases over 200 new scholarly, course, and general interest books in both print and eBook format and over 45 journals. In addition, UTP manages the distribution for over 200 publishers and imprints in Canada, the US and around the world, with warehouses in Toronto ON and Buffalo NY. UTP also runs all of the University of Toronto Bookstores across the three main campuses, serving over 95,000 students and 15,000 faculty. For more information, please visit utorontopress.com.
As the leading university press in Canada and one of the largest in North America, we acknowledge our role and responsibility in effecting positive change. With this, we seek to continuously improve the diversity and representation of our publications and the clients we represent, as well as within the makeup of our organization. With strong commitment from leadership, we are collectively bringing forward change across the organization, both within our company culture and in our publishing, distribution, and retail endeavours. UTP operates with mutual trust, respect, and integrity as we strive to identify and remove barriers. We are committed to making UTP a great place to work by addressing and challenging systemic inequities.
Interested in applying?
Please visit our website to apply online https://utorontopress.com
We truly thank all applicants for their interest in joining the Press, only those candidates considered for an initial interview will be contacted.
The University of Toronto Press encourages applications from all qualified candidates. If you need accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information on our accommodation policies, please contact Human Resources at 416.978.2239 ext. 2255.