Come join our incredible Book Publishing team!
Here’s our current opening:
Position: Production Coordinator
Reports to: Editorial, Design, and Production Manager
Division: Book Publishing
Location: 800 Bay Street*
* While we are currently working remotely, we are looking for a candidate who is able to commute to our Toronto office in the future. When it is safe to, this position will be a hybrid position requiring some in-office time mixed with work from home. All safety precautions and measures will continue to be taken.
Here’s what you’ll be doing….
Responsible for handling all aspects of the production management of approximately 50-60 books annually as well as reprints. You’ll ensure all publications meet UTP’s high quality standards within set budgets and schedules.
• Manage 50-60 book projects a year through the publication process including:
o frequent liaising with acquiring editors, marketing, order fulfilment, designers, typesetters, offset printers, and short run digital printers
o prepare production costs and securing quotes from various suppliers
o commission compositors to evaluating manuscript artwork, ensuring that all elements meet minimum requirements
o monitor overall manuscript and final product schedules
o circulate copy and cover/jacket artworks
o prepare purchase orders for printers and submit files to manufacturers for both offset and digital printing
o perform quality control checks at the various stages of production
o prepare and process all ancillary materials in both print and electronic formats
o process invoices from vendors
o attend regular production schedule meetings
• Handle all production tasks related to reprints
• Copy editing and proofreading of jacket and cover copy, and other text as required
• Secure special production services such as cartography
• Provide support to others in UTP design and production departments
Here’s what we are looking for:
Education, Qualifications, and Experience:
• Post-secondary graduate, preferably in Arts and Science that stresses close attention to text and bibliographic styles
• Publishing certificate with courses in production and copyediting
• 2-3 years in a book publishing environment, with production experience including digital publishing
Knowledge, Skills, and Attributes:
• Demonstrated knowledge and skills in book and ebook production project management
• Proficiency in Excel, Word, Access or other database system, Adobe Acrobat Professional; experience with an XML workflow, and ability to adapt to new databases
• Expertise in HTML/XHTML coding as well as direct experience with Adobe Creative Suite (specifically InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator) and Adobe Digital Editions
• Strong interpersonal skills and a track record of positive relationship building
• Attention to detail essential; able to organize work schedule with competing priorities and projects
• Expert, demonstrable knowledge of editing and proofreading in a book publishing environment
• Demonstrated working knowledge of Chicago Manual of Style and other style guides
• Knowledge of design, typography and formatting
• Tact, judgment, and critical thinking, coolness under pressure, ability to problem solve
• Communicate clearly, effectively, and diplomatically
• Interest in books and scholarship
• Familiarity with new technologies and industry developments
• Values matter to you. You bring your whole self to work and you live our values of accountability, innovation, respect, and customer focus
About our Book Publishing team
The Book Publishing Division has a staff of over 40 full-time and contract employees and operates out of 800 Bay Street, Toronto. With the publication of influential authors and award-winning research, as well as a continuing dedication to groundbreaking new scholarship and innovative texts, UTP has firmly established its reputation for excellence. Books published by UTP are written for intellectually curious readers, academics, researchers, students, and practitioners. Our authors come from around the world and we serve a global market.
About University of Toronto Press
Our organization is steeped in a rich history (UTP was founded in 1901) and today is Canada's leading scholarly publisher and one of North America’s premier academic presses. We have published over 6,500 books and each year we publish approximately 200 new scholarly, course, and general interest books in both print and ebook and more than 40 Journals. Our authors praise us for our commitment to quality and innovation and for our ability to successfully market books both in North America and around the world. We are honoured and proud that many of our books have received a number of awards.
Through the operation of several complementary divisions, it is our mission to publish exemplary works of scholarship, and to disseminate knowledge widely for the benefit of society. In addition to publishing books, we own and publish numerous high profile scholarly journals, distribute books to a broad range of other publishers through our warehouses in Toronto and Buffalo and operate highly regarded and successful campus stores for the University of Toronto.
UTP is committed to supporting greater diversity, equity, and inclusion in the university press community.
We celebrate and support diversity and strive to create a welcoming workplace in which everyone has a voice and is able to do their best work. We welcome all applicants, particularly those who identify with groups that are traditionally underrepresented in the publishing industry including, but not limited to, Black, Indigenous, people of colour, persons with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ2S+ community, and persons from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
UTP places great value on equity and inclusion, and proactively seeks to increase diversity among its community members. Our values regarding equity and diversity are linked with our unwavering commitment to excellence in the pursuit of our mission, which is to publish exemplary works of scholarship and to disseminate knowledge widely for the benefit of society.
Interested in applying?
Please visit our website to apply online https://utorontopress.com
We truly thank all applicants for their interest in joining the Press, only those candidates considered for an initial interview will be contacted.
The University of Toronto Press encourages applications from all qualified candidates. If you need accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information on our accommodation policies, please contact Human Resources at 416.978.2239 ext. 2255.