Want to work with Canada’s leading scholarly publisher? Then come and join our incredible Book Publishing team!
Here’s our current opening:
Position: Production Editor - 1 year contract
Reports To: Managing Editor
Division: Book Publishing
Location: Downtown Toronto - Yonge and Bloor area
Here’s what you’ll be doing….
Oversees the project management of approximately twenty books through to successful and timely publication.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Maintains and monitors overall manuscript schedules.
- Assigns, coordinates, and supervises the work of freelance copy editors and typesetters.
- Provides editorial support to authors and other UTP departments.
- Responsible for the preparation, coordination, and quality control of UTP ebooks.
- Assists the Production Manager regarding budget formation, art inventory assessment and, as necessary, reprint
Here's what we are looking for:
Education, Qualifications and Experience:
- University graduate, preferably in Arts and Science, and preferably in a discipline that stresses close attention to texts and bibliographic styles.
- Post-graduate publishing certificate/diploma/degree.
Knowledge, Skills and Attributes:
- Thorough knowledge of editorial procedures and processes, including digital publishing.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (particularly Excel, Word, and Access), InDesign, Adobe Acrobat Professional, Adobe Digital Editions, and Photoshop.
- Familiarity with XML especially EPUB3 an asset.
- Team player with demonstrable skills in time management, project management, and critical thinking.
- Good eye for detail, coolness under pressure, an ability to deal with many competing demands.
- Flexibility, ability to organize own work schedule,
- Above-average interpersonal skills, tact, judgment, accuracy, reliability, ability to communicate clearly and effectively, readiness to work long hours when necessary, interest in books and scholarship.
- A good fit with our core values of respect, innovation and accountability.
About our Book Publishing Team
The Book Publishing division has a staff of over 40 full time and contract employees and operates out of two locations with the scholarly publishing group based at 10 St Mary Street and the higher education group located in Guelph. The division publishes 180 books annually including scholarly monographs primarily aimed at university libraries and faculty, course books intended for student use, and trade titles aimed at the informed general reader. Our authors come from around the world and we serve a global market.
About University of Toronto Press
University of Toronto Press (“UTP”) is a not-for-profit company, affiliated with the University of Toronto. With approximately 250 employees and revenues of $50 million, the Company is in a unique situation within the scholarly publishing community. UTP is the only university press that operates independently from its parent institution with its book publishing division supported by the successful operation of complementary business functions.
Mission. To publish exemplary works of scholarship and to disseminate knowledge widely for the benefit of society.
Vision. To be a top tier North American Press: #1 in Canada, and one of the top 5 in the U.S.
Values: Three primary core values will govern our actions and decisions in ensuring the effectiveness of our mission: Respect, Innovation, and Accountability. These are the guiding principles by which we operate our organization and treat our co-workers, customers, clients and the community.
Interested in applying?
Please send your resume with a covering letter by September 18, 2017, to: firstname.lastname@example.org Please indicate, Production Editor in the subject line and your salary expectations in the covering letter.
We truly thank all applicants for their interest in joining the Press, only those candidates considered for an initial interview will be contacted.
The University of Toronto Press encourages applications from all qualified candidates. If you need accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information on our accommodation policies, please contact Human Resources at the email above or 416.978-2239 ext. 2255.